The resolution was actually passed!

by stillin 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

During the late 90s my congregation would pass a yearly resolution to send our prorated share of the CO's car lease/health inurance expense. It was usually in the neighborhood of $800. Invariably, the congregation would not raise enough money to cover it.

I was assistant account servant at the time and it was pretty typical to collect somewhere between 20-40 dollars each meeting. Every now and then a borderline inactive publisher would write a check for $100 (as a way to atone for their "weakness?"), which helped make ends meet. The hall was paid for and was shared by 4 congregations, so monthly expenses were in the 300-400 dollar range if I remember correctly.

Since the congregation never could come up with the money to pay the $800 or so for the CO expense, panicked meetings were held because the elders would have to cover the expenses out of their own funds if the congregation couldn't come up with the money. There were 3 or 4 of them and all of them lived paycheck to paycheck. They didn't have a few hundred dollars lying around to cover it. I believe the elders and ministerial servants ended up agreeing to share the expense among themselves (which would amount to about $100 a piece).

In short, it was a huge burden, but no one ever suggested not passing the resolution in the first place. It just wasn't something that crossed your mind. Eventually headquarters started paying that out of worldwide funds and stopped making the local congregations cover it. It was a huge relief for all involved.

I suspect a scenario like the above will play out on a much larger scale worldwide as a result of this new arrangement.

• nugget
    nugget

If the watchtower society is foolish enough to base any financial plans on these pledges then bigger fool them. When we stopped paying for literature the money for the Worldwide work decreased over time because people had the attitude that any shortfall would be compensated for by others. This arrangement will fare no better and there will be months of local needs talks guilting people to stick to pledges.

This will either result in a formalising of pledges through direct debits or an acceptance of the situation.

It is a disgrace and shame on them all for passively agreeing to this rubbish. Shows how controlled people are.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

We might wonder at their lack of reasoning ability but the JWs are already trained to be compliant. These are the ones who can't stay at a hotel not on the list for the convention and have to stay indoors for lunch during the intermission.

is it any wonder they meekly comply when the elders suggest giving away the "Kingdom Hall silver"?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

........If You Voted on Intestinal Gas at the Kingdom Hall..It would be Passed..

........... photo appl.gif

................................................ photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit