The resolution was actually passed!

by stillin 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• prologos
    prologos

do not 'true Christians' [tm] abstain from voting on mundane matters, like filthy lucre?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

do not 'true Christians' [tm] abstain from voting on mundane matters, like filthy lucre?

It's only wrong when non-JWs do it

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

In all of my years, I have never seen a single resolution follow the rules.

Most "resolutions" are fluff crap and unrequired (does the cong. want to reimburse the C.O.'s $150. in expenses, etc.), which the elders are entitled to just pay.

However, major items, such as buying or selling, mortgaging, changing bylaws, an indefinite encumbrance, DO require a lawful resolution.

For the most part, the procedure is to read the resolution, have it moved by a member, seconded by a member, THEN opened up to the membership for open questions and discussion. The bylaws should stipulate whether the vote can then subsequently take place, or whether it should be held after a certain period allowing for thought, and then brought back before the membership, and then who is eligible to vote and how.

A s-disturber could have some temporary fun with it, but it would eventually be corrected and passed.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

.....................................................................................YOU BETTER..

....................................................................................................................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• smiddy
    smiddy

In the congregation I attended in the 60`s , a newly built KH , a vote was taken as to what time the sunday meeting was to be held ,this was at the sevice meeting part and a local needs talk was given suggesting that sundays field service was notably down if the meetings were held in the morning of a sunday. The vote was very close in favour of sunday mornings .

The next week a further vote was taken at the service meeting to determine the same thing.Dopey me thought this was decided the week before.Again the vote was very close and the sunday morning meetings got the vote.

The next week I didnt get to the service meeting and guess what , another vote was taken and the vote for afternoon meetings on a sunday won the day.

Their were no more votes cast after that , the PO and his henchman got what they wanted , afternoon meetings and field service in the mornings .

Why didnt I see how manipulative these people can be back then and save myself and family 33 years of BS.

smiddy

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

We had something similar happen with meeting times.

The PO offered 2 times, expecting the "normal time" that was usually used to be voted for - instead it was about 2/3 to 1/3 for the new time slot. He said, Wow, really?

The subsequent years, there was no vote - just his assigned time.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

During the 30 years I was in there was only one person who voted against a resolution. It didn't change a thing and I doubt that most people would vote against something the elders made.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Even as a JW, I thought this was idiotic. Nobody wanted to be an obstinate voice. When the slightest opposition to “Jehovah’s arrangement” is viewed as wrong, who would publically vote against it? I often thought that voting should be done by secret ballot.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

After what happened the last time I made a pledge for a non-zero, non-negative amount of money and made an attempt to keep it, it was nothing but bad luck. And I mean in every area of my life. Bad luck! And joke-hova still expected the amount of the pledge, regardless. Thus, I quit giving on it when joke-hova refused to bring my financial situation back up and undo all the other collateral damage that happened when I did my pledge. And, after that, my pledges to that beady-eyed monster's Damnation Fund shall be zero or a negative amount.

And they are not getting anything out of me. If I have as much as a copper-colored zinc disc to spare for the Worldwide Damnation Fund, I can gather 2,187 of them and buy an ounce of silver (doing so when the price dips). I can also save them up, especially if I come across a real copper one (the ones before 1982, and some of the 1982 ones, are real copper). Nickels are worth more than a nickel for the metal content. Or, I can get more batteries for the coming rolling blackouts. Either way, when the dollar becomes toilet paper, I can have the money as a transition to a more sound system, and perhaps even substantial wealth. After all, if a silver dime represented a day's wages, it will take a surprisingly small amount of silver to retire on--and not depending on Social Security or those IRA's that are subject to confiscation and devaluation.

Not to mention, why would I want to pay for any more bad luck?

• that quiet girl
    that quiet girl

I'm not surprised...people always vote in favor of every resolution passed, at least the ones I've seen. I would have felt like I was wrong not to raise my hand even if I didn't agree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit