Are you complicit if you stay in?

by mrhhome 49 Replies latest jw friends

• 4thgen
    4thgen

The Watchtower seems to agree with the complicity of inaction stance.... Out of their own mouth.....

(Joh 17:12) Those Pharisees who were guilty of complicity in the plot against Jesus’ life were described as ‘subjects for Gehenna.’

it-2 pp. 639-641 - Insight, Volume 2

• talesin
    talesin

To the OP,

I stood up to the WT as soon as I was old enough to tell my parents "no". I was immediately kicked out on the street, 18 YO, unwell, little education, nothing but my brains and a strong work ethic. I did okay, considering. :))

For 30 years, I wrestled with the issue of my best friend - she has led a double life and had the advantages and the curses of the double-lifer. It is not an easy choice, either - when we last communicated, she was very unhappy. I believe this is true of many of my family members, although I can't know, as they do shun me. We all have to live with our choices. *shrug*

There is lots of pain to go around. I don't agree with staying in, as the misery *never* ends, but can't judge those who do.

tal

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No one knows how hard a particular person's circumstances are. If you knew objective facts, you would still not know what is in someone's heart/soul. Temoerament may play a large role. This whole discussion reminds me of Uncle Tom's Cabin. I read a scholarly work on the Atlantic slave trade and no one had easy moral decisions to make. Tom was worse than the slaveowners when I was in high school. Uncle Tom triggered rage. I read the novel a few years ago and found Tom very moving.

We should worry about our own morals. These rash judgments sound like the WT's judicial councils. Cults mess with your mind. I recall my JW aunt who could not call about a bill. The isolation is no accident. Rather than judge others, we should help each other. This is what Jesus probably said about the splinter in one's eye.

This blaming reminds me of my rage towards my mom for not stopping abuse. Children, dogs - we were disposable. After my father died, she was exposed to a different world through her children. She moved up in her career. My mom was a very different person after she had freedom than when life was so bleak. I discovered life is not so easy as I thought as a teenager.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

yes, conditional love just permeates the WT world

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sorry, but there are so many here that think that making a sacrifice for the masses is a good thing.

I don't.

For example, I do not agree with the excessive taxes we pay. In the US, nearly 50% of our earnings go to taxes (so they say, whoever "they" are). Most would agree that is excessive. The Boston Tea Party was a revolt (that started the American Revolution) that was about 1/4 % tax on tea. They overthrow the government. The income tax started at about 1%. I am currently in a "bracket" that every additional dollar I earn costs me 40% for taxes.

So, should we just individually "stand up" and say we NOT going to pay these DAMN taxes? You first.

I'm just gonna comply and bitch about it for now.

Same with the JWs. I'm just gonna STFU and vent here. If that causes YOU problems, when YOU fight the tax man for ME, I'll fight your JW battles for you.

Besides, I'm hanging in there for the inheritance. (Love ya, Mom & Dad. Don't give it all to the WTS.)

Doc

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I just don't see how they have the nerve to ask anyone for money when they discourage education themselves

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I have to say that I agree with most of the sentiments posted here. There are some who are justifiably bitter at the WTBTS - based on their own distresses which were caused by a combination of the Org's 'system of things', and their own reaction to the circumstances in which they ultimately found themselves.

I am both grateful and saddened to hear many of the personal experiences submitted by the contributors, but it is very clear that there is not a "one size fits all" solution when deciding to exit the cess-pit of the Org. For some, going out with a bang made them feel that they'd fought back and taken a stand - brilliant!

In my case, I'm still in - no Field Service, no donations, no Ministry School, no studying of any literature EXCEPT the Study Watchtower in order to 'plant seeds' if possible, and in a few weeks time I'll reach the final stage of my exit by changing congregations and becoming just another statistic to the Org - but with my family still intact!

Why should I fall on my own sword, abide by the Org's ways of doing things, and make it easy for their henchman to tie up the loose ends?

I will take great pleasure in having Elders waste their time, money and fuel, trying to "readjust me"!!!!

• KateWild
    KateWild

Same with the JWs. I'm just gonna STFU and vent here.-DOC

Doc, I have to say you do more than just vent, you have given out some pretty good advice also. Sometime I have regrets that I did not shut my trap, but then I imagine my life still married lots of DV and keeping it quiet, it would be too much for my kids. So you see we are all in different circumstances, and have different personalities. I enjoy your contributions, keep up the good work.

Kate xx

• bigmac
    bigmac

best not sit on the fence too long--or you will get a lateral crease in your backside---and end up with a HOT CROSS BUM

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Thanks, Kate.

I was a semi-apologist when I first landed here. Ruffled some feathers I think (Sorry 'bout that, folks), before I learned the FULL TTATT.

Since then, then people here have been pillars of support. My experiences are repeated here by others over and over and over.

Thanks, All.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit