"Honour" Killing in Pakistan

by cofty 54 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

25 year old Farzana Iqbal was stoned to death by a crowd led by her own father and two of her brothers outside the High Court in Lahore yesterday.

Her crime was to reject her cousin, who her family had decided she should marry, and fall in love with a man of her own choosing.

Thousands of women are murdered every year in so-called "honour killings" but convictions are very rare. Pakistani law permits victim's families to forgive a murderer, but in these cases the killers are family members who are nominated to carry out the execution by the rest of the family.

This is what happens when you allow a mysogynistic religion to influence secular law.

Reuters report...l

• designs
    designs

Sometimes I have to check the calendar to see if its really 2014.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Despicable murderers.

Wasn't there a thread on here recently that showed the GB's proclivity to this form of 'punishment' for 'apostates' & that it is only the law of the land that prevents 'theocratic' punishment being meted out?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Very sad indeed. Laws like this infuriate me. It's up to us to teach our sons that sexism is just not acceptable.

We were on the bus in London and we saw a couple arguing quietly, they were talking in an Arabic language we couldn't understand what they were saying. The male hit the female on the head with his arm, the female just looked down to the floor. My daughter stared in disgust at the male and he statred back at her with confidence.

They must have been around my daughters age, she could see something was wrong she said "Mum, that girl is not going to be ok". My daughter suspected she would be beaten. It was just a small exchange, but the oppression and sexism was clear. We never had this problem in London 20 yrs ago, it was not as public or accepted as it seems to be now.

Kate xx

• designs
    designs

Kate

That's a frightening thing to see. You know it will be worse in private.

Back in the 1980s when I was an Elder i had to deal with domestic violence cases in the congregation. It was pretty sickening to see what went on in the privacy of people's homes.

• KateWild
    KateWild

You know it will be worse in private.-Designs

That was my daughters point, we were victims of DV, she got beaten badly and when we told the elders, we got told not to go to the police and I got Df'd for sticking up for my kids and throwing him out the house. My daughter knows all too well that sexism, DV and religion are a bad mix.

Kate xx

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It makes me wonder where their heads are at. What kind of a god is allah? What kind weirdos are these pigs?

• designs
    designs

These strong religious communites protect their own and make anyone who goes to the police a social pariah.

• cofty
    cofty

There is a fundamental flaw in Pakistani law.

In most countries a crime is viewed as being against the state. In the UK a trial is listed as "the Queen versus...." The victim or their family does not get to forgive the abuser but neither do they get to take revenge. It is this that has led to the lowest murder and violent-crime rates in all of human hstory.

We have given up our right for revenge in return for a more civilised society. The law gets it wrong often enough but the alternative is far worse.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

just a small point, but it wasnt so long ago we had canes in school. I also remember that in the theocratic ministry school a talk being given about how it was ok to hit a child on the head, and the elder demonstrated with his hand. I also think shouting is no way to talk to anybody, nor the use of belittling peoples words with sarcastic tones. And as for judical commitees its abhorant . Bullying in many shapes and forms is everywhere, thats why its best to be independent as much as possible. I mean its easy to become apart it. Even on these forums.

" Honour" killing...what honour is there in killing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit