The List, by "Prominent Bethelite"

by morloc 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• morloc
    morloc

I occasionally pop through here to catch up on the latest, but this time I'm going to pop my own post on here.

Some of you internet oldsters may even remember this. ;)

My first experience on the internet regarding discussions about Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower took place on a now-obscure usenet group, before I eventually stumbled across Hourglass2.

During those days, there was a poster who went by the name "Prominent Bethelite," an otherwise anonymous individual whom I remember most for an extensive, exhaustive compilation of date-oriented remarks, predictions, and expectations by the Watchtower organization down through the decades of its history.

It became known as "The List" and it's definitely lengthy... but a fascination look at the abundance of errant statements made through the Watchtower's history.

If you're curious, it's been available for a long time on Hourglass2's site, and can be seen using the link provided below.

The List, compiled by Prominent Bethelite (1999)

That's about it for this stop through here. As for Hourglass2, yes, it's still around, although I've never figured out how to get the massive array of pre-2000 posts (I have 6 CDs filled with the H2O's archives, which, unfortunately, are in wwwboard format) up online for those who might be interested in the debates and discussions that were going on in those days. The board itself has never experienced a resurgence of any sort, and goes through stages of its own with the discussions, but that's fine, too. Sometimes, it's about the nostalgia. Sometimes, it's about a quiet room where you can hear yourself think.

Anyhoo, thank you for your time.

Timothy Kline

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

14 post in 14 years, I admire you dedication to lurkdom!

Look forward to next years post.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"14 post in 14 years, I admire you dedication to lurkdom!"

The way these Last Days keep lasting and lasting, it makes sense to pace yourself!

I wish there was a way to time travel back through the Internet to wake myself up earlier to TTATT. But, god bless the Internet for finally saving me from the Watchtower Wasteland of false prophecy and bogus chronology.

ps: Morloc, eh? You wouldn't happen to be related to Sparlock, would you? He's an awesome superhero whose greatest power is to make the evil Jehovah very sad.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

THANK YOU! I had never heard of this before, it's a nice resource to have.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Billy the ex-Bethelite - "...these Last Days keep lasting and lasting..."

...and lasting, and lasting, and lasting, and lasting...

Never has a label been so ironically appropriate.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Thanks for the link...

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hello Morloc, I wanted to say hi, before you go into this year's hibernation.

It really is a pleasure to meet you.

Night, night.

LoisLane

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Hello Morloc, Thanks for the post. Wow! you remembered your password after 14 years!!?!?!?! Impressive! I can't remember mine form day to day!

• steve2
    steve2

Thank you for posting The List - I had not known such a list existed. It is by far the most pain-stakingly exhaustive and detailed listing of statements made by Watchtower publications across the decades from its beginning as an incorporated "society" in the 1870s.

I had already known well before I left that the earliest publications had asserted over several decades that the time of the end began in 1799. However, to actually see quotation after quotation after quotation in those early publications confidently making assertions about the "significance" of the year 1799 is to be reminded how, from its earliest beginnings, it has arrogantly peddled an endless menu of changing speculations. And so it contrinues into the present century. Sigh!

It can astonish me still that people continue to believe the Watchtower's blinkered claim to be the sole channel of "truth" on earth. Truly, to the rank and file Witnesses, ignorance is bliss.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit