Another Shooting Massacre

by whathehadas 44 Replies latest social current

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Then we might as well not even bother locking up our homes!

After all, if an intruder really wants to get inside, they will find a way somehow:

- no matter how many locks or bars placed in their path.

It's all about making things as difficult as possible for firearms to get into the wrong hands, and any system that allows a mentally ill person to legally obtain a firearm is a disaster waiting for a time to happen.

In this part of the world, a firearms licence is issued only after the applicant is carefully vetted for such things as mental illness and substance abuse problems. (Learned the hard way, after a massacre back in 1996, at a place called Port Arthur).

As a licensed firearm owner myself (smallbore shooting being one of my hobbies), I have no problem with that.

Sorry not at all for expressing these sentiments!

Bill.

PS: I would also take issue with any suggestions that mental illness does not play a significant role in mass killings. Of the six mass slayings that I am familiar with (including Port Arthur), in at least three of these, the perpetrator was mentally ill.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thanks for posting that info glenster, that fleshes out what I knew a bit more.

• glenster
    glenster

You're welcome! He also seems to have had NPD--narcissistic personality dis-
    order:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

• DJS
    DJS

Yeah, my ex GF has NPD. And she wouldn't (physically) hurt a flea. She might drive it crazy, but she wouldn't physically hurt it. I've read that some sociologists fear that in our desire to level playing fields, end bullying and create a kinder, gentler growing up period for our young men and women that we have also in many ways emasculated young males and not given them all of the skills they need to survive and thrive. There are a lot of issues with Gen Y males which suggest this is true; mass shootings are simply one anomalous and horrific aspect of this.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

@DJS- yes, it worries me that children are still being taught to suppress unpleasant emotions rather than actually accepting that unpleasant emotions are a part of life, and find a healthy way of letting off steam. Too many kids now think they should feel happy all the time, and just don't know what to do with feelings of sadness or rejection, which happens to everyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit