Another Shooting Massacre

by whathehadas 44 Replies latest social current

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

AndDontCallMeShirley, reason and logic don’t work in the USA when it comes to this subject, hence you have a problem.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

WEAPONS SHOULD NOT BE BANNED.

Every Citizen should be properly trained by to handle various forms of weaponry. If you can pass a strict compentency test with any given weapon, you should be allowed a permit to carry that weapon. This would stop many crimes. Chances are, anyone who get's an illegal weapon would not be trained as well. The odds would be against 1 or 2 untrained individuals if they were up against a room full of trained and competent citizens. It would not stop all crimes, nothing will, but armed citizens are a deterrent. A grandma properly trained could have stopped this crime. Criminals count on their victims being defensless.

Imagine knowing that 50% of movie-goers, or 80% of a School's faculty were proficient in the use of weapons. What if most of the students were trained in unarmed combat as well? Don't you think some a-hole will think twice before waltzing into a theater or a school? If some teenager pulled out a knife when I was in school, they would have had plenty of time to ponder their actions in the hospital.

People are still going to die. The number of people who die will greatly decrease if "normal" people knew how to defend themselves. Most of those criminals are cowardly to begin with. They are not going to walk into a packed theater or school when they know everyone else is trained. There will be some with a death-wish that might, maybe someone who is mentally unstable, but that's unavoidable.

The better educated the Citizens are about defense, the less crimes, like school shootings, would occur. Why do you think they pick these areas to commit their crimes? The kids are sitting ducks in a cage! How often does someone walk into a Policeman's Ball and start shooting? How often does a jilted lover go to a Police officer's home to attack their child? Think about it.

DD

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Unfortunately, it is not against the law to be mentally ill...police can not take action against an individual who has mental illness unless they present an immediate danger to themselves or others...that's the law. When police interviewed him earlier, he was polite, cogent and appeared "normal". Guns are not what caused this tragedy, it is the failed system of dealing with and treating mental illness. We can not expect the police to solve the problems that afflict these people...they need treatment by professional mental healthcare workers. Every time an incident like this occurs, we wring our hands, gnash our teeth and call for the ban of guns. How about we finally act on the root cause of these issues, and allocate adequate funds to treat these ill people and protect the public from these outbursts?

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

@DATA-DOG I agree with most of what you stated. Defenseless people are targeted the most. There should be more self awareness to potential threats. There has been a few cases of people going RIGHT in a Police Station and opening fire. Recently in California too. http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/lapd-officer-wounded-gunman-opens-fire-police-station-cops-article-1.1749159

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

@ Seraphim: reason and logic don’t work in the USA when it comes to this subject, hence you have a problem.

Statistically, the availability of guns has little correlation to the level of gun violence. Some of the most well-armed countries in the world (ex: Switzerland) also have the lowest crime rates. What makes the difference is the attitude toward violence of the citizenry in general, not a particlular method of violence, like using a gun. Gun violence, or any violence, is a symptom of a much deeper issue, not the cause.

If all guns were made illegal, and certain individuals resorted to using steak knives to attack people, would you suggest outlawing steak knives? Or, after outlawing steak knives as a result of escalating knife violence, these same people began killing people with rocks, would you suggest outlawing rocks?

Incidentally, for your information, criminals do not obey the law. Shocking but true. If guns are outlawed, criminals still have them while law-abiding people, because they obey the law, have been disarmed. Legislation does not fix the underlying problem.

• designs
    designs

The Swiss culture is hard to export. Manifest Destiny was a violent means to extract lands from the Indigenous Nations in the Americas and that mentality of violent extraction persists in american culture. We have massive poverty in this country. We have open hostile opposition to universal health care.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

@Whathehades,

It happens, but it's rare compared to other shootings.

DD

• Comatose
    Comatose

You should have to pass a psych test to get a gun. It wouldn't fix everything but could help a lot.

It it sucks that weirdo losers feel they have to take other people out and not just themselves.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

@ designs: "Swiss culture is hard to export"

I disagree...Swiss Cheese and Swiss Yogurt are very easy to get where I live. I'm not aware of any restrictive export laws. LOL.

• Scott77
    Scott77

The Santa Barbara City College student complained of being a virgin who had never been kissed and was constantly rejected by women who prefer “obnoxious men instead of me, the supreme gentleman.”

“You think I’m unworthy of you. That’s a crime I can never get over,” he said. “If I can’t have you girls, I will destroy you. You denied me a happy life and in turn I will deny all of you life. It’s only fair.”

The gunman was in two gun battles before crashing his black BMW into a parked car.

“All of you girls who rejected me, looked down upon me, you know, treated me like scum while you gave yourselves to other men ... ” Elliot Rodger said during the final moments of his video. “I hate all of you. I can’t wait to give you exactly what you deserve — annihilation.”

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/national/west/2014/05/police_killing_spree_near_california_campus_fueled_by_rage

I think, this speaks volume. Sexua deprivation might have been the reason besides mental health issue.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit