Another Shooting Massacre

by whathehadas 44 Replies latest social current

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

He reminds the Apostle Paul.

• DJS
    DJS

Rejection appears to have been this young man's issue rather than sex. Gen Y males aren't used to failure when they grow up. Then they grow up and often aren't prepared to deal with it. Thirty percent of Gen Y males live with mom and dad, the most ever in the US. Gen Y females have moved ahead of Gen Y males in education and are passing them in income. Same story as we've seen it many times before unfortunately.

• glenster
    glenster

Murder–suicide:

"The cultural anthropologist Ernest Becker, whose theories on the human notion
    of death is strongly influenced by Freud, views the fear of death as a universal
    phenomenon, a fear repressed in the unconscious and of which people are largely
    unaware. This fear can move individuals toward heroism, but also to scapegoating.
    Failed attempts to achieve heroism, according to this view, can lead to mental
    illness and/or antisocial behavior."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder%E2%80%93suicide

Pseudocommando

"They typically see their actions through a narcissistic lens as being morally
    justified in revenge against their unfair treatment by an uncaring world, and wish
    to 'go out in a blaze of glory.'"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocommando

Spree killer--serial killer but without the cooling off period--almost no time
    break--between murders.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spree_killer

Rampage killer "has sometimes been used to describe spree killers, but it does
    not differentiate between mass murderers and spree killers."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers

Elliot Rodgers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-jCSZh2tMk
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Isla_Vista_massacre

• Mikado
    Mikado

Another pointless tragedy.

After the school shooting I totally lost any faith i had that the American people may see a different way.

They simply either do not see or do not care that the rest of the world lives totally differently to the way they do.

i once had a very nice and sincere American guy talking to me about guns.

he was astounded that I was perfectly happy without a gun, and said, oh but you must never live alone. I replied that my partner is constantly away for work, I am Far more often alone than with someone...

He genuinely was astounded, and said, but you seem such a sensible person....

i was speechless...

• blondie
    blondie

The vast majority of people with mental illness are more a danger to themselves than others

http://depts.washington.edu/mhreport/facts_violence.php

http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/news-media/media-advisory-service/help-journalists/violence-mental-health-problems

Violence & mental health

Over a third of the public think people with a mental health problem are likely to be violent -in fact people with severe mental illnesses are more likely to be victims, rather than perpetrators, of violent crime

The Facts

• The majority of violent crimes and homicides are committed by people who do not have mental health problems.
    • People with mental health problems are more dangerous to themselves than they are to others: 90 per cent of people who die through suicide in the UK are experiencing mental distress
    • In 2009, the total population in England and Wales was just over 43 million. It is estimated that about one in six of the adult population will have a significant mental health problem at any one time (more than 7 million people). Given this number and the 50–70 cases of homicide a year involving people known to have a mental health problem at the time of the murder, clearly the statistics data do not support the sensationalised media coverage about the danger that people with mental health problems present to the community.
    • According to the British Crime Survey, almost half (47 per cent) of the victims of violent crimes believed that their offender was under the influence of alcohol and about 17 per cent believed that the offender was under the influence of drugs. Another survey suggested that about 30 per cent of victims believed that the offender attacked them because they were under the influence of drugs or alcohol. In contrast, only 1 per cent of victims believed that the violent incident happened because the offender had a mental illness.
    • Contrary to popular belief, the incidence of homicide committed by people diagnosed with mental health problems has stayed at a fairly constant level since the 1990s
    • Substance abuse appears to play a role: The prevalence of violence is higher among people who have symptoms of substance abuse (including discharged psychiatric patients and non-patients).

Reporting stories featuring violence and mental health problems

• stick to the facts – don’t speculate about someone’s mental health being a factor unless the facts are clear
    • consider including contextualising facts about how very few people with mental health problems are violent
    • seek comment from a mental health charity such as Mind or Rethink Mental Illness
    • speak to the perpetrator’s family – often they are victims too with compelling stories to tell
  • DJS
    DJS

Blondie,

Nice post. I'm not aware of any data suggesting Gen Y males have higher rates of mental illness than the males from previous generations. The divorce rate has steadily decreased since about 1980, and this would suggest that Gen Y males have been raised in a more stable home environment than Gen X and Gen Y males. What has changed is what I mentioned a few posts before. Klebold and Harris (Columbine) were social misfits. Cho from Va. Tech was as well. Lots of others of these idiots from this generation who do these kinds of things also don't seem to be mentally ill - just angry and screwed up. Lanza, this kid and the Colorado idiot seem to be a combination of mental illness and generational issues. Most if not all of them feel powerless; killing others - going out in a blaze of glory - is the ultimate power trip. They 'feel' powerless. Most if not all of them were from upper middle to solidly middle class families with all of the benefits that entails. They fail a test, can't get laid or some other social misfitism and they want to kill. That is what troubles me.

The mentally ill males from previously generations, when they were in this same age frame, weren't in the news so often killing people in mass numbers. As you mentioned, the mentally ill are more likely to harm themselves. That's why a lot of sociologists and psychiatrists are examining Gen Y males to see if there are generational factors contributing to this. Many think there are. So do I.

• glenster
  • designs
    designs

Pathophysiology. Perhaps in the autopsy they will find the low levels of necessary brain chemistry common in suicide victims and it can lead to better treatments.

• KateWild
    KateWild

If this guy really does have Aspergers he was severly let down as a child. He relates himself as the perfect gentleman, but if he does have AS, he would not be able to identify his lack of social skills and his inapproriate social interactions. He would likely have talked a lot about himself and his interests and not shown a genuine interest in others. He would not have realised this was inapproriate.

I am not condoning his actions, but education for AS sufferers is severly lacking, and if they want friends and don't know how to keep them, the world can be a very lonely place. It can be frustrating when AS sufferers put a lot of effort into forming bonds and making friends to no avail and they don't know why people won't be friends with them.

My son with AS has been let down by professionals and he has expressed how he wants people dead, or he wants to kill them. As a parent I am trying to help him realise that the world is not a fair place and that sometimes we have to ride through injustice and fight back through the appropriate channels. I won't be surprised if he gets hold of a gun and shoots his social worker, the judge and his dad. But I keep telling him that suing them is the most effective way to get justice.

I feel sorry for the victims also, but the world needs more awareness of this developmental condition, and that it can lead to mental health problems if not properly treated by professionals. The general public need to be more aware of the symtoms so they don't trigger anxiety in AS sufferers.

It's such a sad story and really misrepresents ones who have AS.

Kate xx

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Everyone over the age of 5 years old should be mandated to carry a fully loaded assault rifle, a pump action 12 guage and a 9mm pistol. Failure to do so at all times would lead to a brain labotomy to remove all traces of a sense of humour.

Humour is from Satan, guns are from God.

Problem solved!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit