Misconception 1:...........

by Jon Preston 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Atheists want there to be NO god. Absolutely false! Atheists i have met arent evil, but very moral. But no diubt they didnt just decide to be atheist....

Ill just tell you how it is for me. I am open minded to the idea of God, but disagree with what man has put out so far....however until proof of god comes i Cannot say God is real. But i didnt decide this lightly. I wanted and still want God to be real! But from what I have seen and heard and tesearched I have nothing...I have prayed and wished and was patient:...where is this mysterious God, mysterious experience? The point is at some point many atheists wanted God to be real....and what a terrible and enlightening journey i have been on in exploring things! What about you? What have u experienced aince the watchtower?!

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

This is from an article on how the brain is hardwired to believe in God

but some people lack the particular brain function to see beyond themselves.

From: http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/articles/neurotheology-are-we-hardwired-god

Neurotheology, neurons, and neurotransmitters
    Neurotheologians argue that the structure and function of the human brain predispose us to believe in God. They claim that the site of God's biological substrate is the limbic system deep within the brain, which has long been considered to be the biological center for emotion. Rhawn Joseph, a prominent neurotheologian, goes a step further to suggest that the limbic system is dotted with "God neurons" and "God neurotransmitters."2

Among the limbic structures that have been associated with religious belief, the most frequently credited are the hypothalamus, amygdala, and hippocampus. Neurotheologians point to changes in functional MRI scans in these areas as research subjects engage in religious meditation. They reason that if thinking about God changes the way the brain works, there must be some inherent neural imperative to believe in God in the first place. In making this connection, neurotheologians are following the lead of neuroscientists who claim that changes seen in functional brain scans in persons who are happy, depressed, or obsessed demonstrate that these phenomena are brain driven.

- See more at: http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/articles/neurotheology-are-we-hardwired-god#sthash.Yt2wSq07.dpuf

• cofty
    cofty

Villagegirl - Thank you for that link. We always suspected god is all in the mind of the superstitious believer, but it's nice to see some evidence.

Identical twin studies show that the tendency to be passionately religious is strongly genetic, but which particular religion you follow is down to nurture.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Since leaving the Watchtower I'm older but not much different. My kids are grown up and my dog is old and the cat is going for living forever. I still believe in God.

• inbetween
    inbetween

Jon preston, totally subsribe to your comment.

the way watchtower paints the picture of Atheists is completely stereotyping.

I never understood, how someone cannot believe in a creator until I learned about, what proof really means...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Jon. Yeah. That's me.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I left the JW's still wanting to believe, wanting there to be more to life than this. Then rationality hit, there is no god, this is it - but you know what? This life is still f*(k1n9 awesome.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Thats everyone for the comments

• stillin
    stillin

I don't think that God believes that I exist.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

in the words of leondicaprio if god does exist "he left this place a long time ago"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit