How do you study? What are your methods of memorizing big amount of text?

by will-be-apostate 43 Replies latest jw friends

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

I'm having an exam in mineralogy in 20 days and need to learn 120+ pages of content. I've learned a part of it so far. I'm just curious how did you/do you study? I find maths, physics and chemistry easier to learn than other subjects. Mineralogy, even though it's based on core theories (i.e. plate tectonics) and rules I find harder to learn. Most of it is classification and memorizing names, chemical formulas and so on, nothing I could deduce by myself.

How did you succeed learning such subjects? snare&racket how did you manage memorizing all those diseases and symptoms, descriptions etc ?

Thanks in advance for the tips.

• cofty
    cofty

Mnemonics are your best friend.

A few hours spent making up crazy and unforgettable mental images is good fun and time well spent.

There are many different techniques and tools. I still remember lots of stuff I learned years ago.

There are some great resources online to get you started or you could grab a book by Tony Buzan or Harry Lorayne.

All the best with the exams, please let us know how it goes.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Mind maps are great for learning detailed information.

Unfortunately with some information there is no shortcut, it has to be learned by rote. I found studying Chemistry easier than studying for my MBA, because as you point out, chemistry is a case of learning the principles and then simply visualising what the electrons are doing. Whereas learining business strategy and theory was laborious memorisation.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Everyone learns differently, but my approach was...

Time: make a schedule of how many study hours you now have between now and the exam. Have a rough idea of how much you can do in an hour, be very conservative in the estimate.

Prioritise: Narrow down what you actually need to learn, what is more important to learn and what you find hard learning. Focus on the areas you know you are bad at.

Read it all three times: Reading the data three times, with some space between each reading lays a good foundation.

Use your natural memory making abilities: When reading be VERY aware of making mental links between facts. If mineral 'x' is pink and is formed from fossilised dinosaur bones. Everytime you read of minersl 'x' imagine a pink dinosaur with a huge 'x' on it. It is very hard to undo this kind of word association so don't be sloppy and make a mistake. Also force yourself to think of the image everytime you see the minerals name.

When I am learning I try to engage all the senses and make as many neural connections as possible. I imagine it all forwards, backwards, sideways, I imagine visualising it, smelling it. I play with the words and names ALOT for memory purposes and make mneumonics as Cofty said.

Eventually you find that you know things without realising it, because you learned it so well first time around, 4 years later when asked or when needed, the memory simply comes forward......often

Test Yourself: go online, ask your tutor, by some test books. This is what revision is supposed to be, not learning. With time you will manage your workload so that you learn all year and revise before exams. But in the early days this is often not realised. Revising, i.e. testing your lesrning is vital before an exam. It tells you what you don't know and what you know well. Prioritise some final learning based on this testing. This last step is often skipped by people who fear testing themselves. People that do well..... never miss this step. Overcome feeling crap about finding out what you don't know. Every extra mark counts, finding out what you dont know before an exam is the keyM Not what you already know.

Trust that it works, you will be amazed how much you can consume. I will admit all doctors have forgotten an awful lot, because they are human, but it is astounding what you can learn and remember. There is no limit really. The only issue is not using the information for so long that you forget it.

It is a lie that person 'x' is cleverer than person 'y'. Studies show that children are all very similair in ability at an early age. Over time we fall into categorisation and fall for the false perception of 'I'm not very academic' or 'I can't do maths'. It is true some peoples genetics will make them somewhat better at some things, but, by far the biggest deciding factor in how you do is.....EFFORT. That is the ultimate truth in academia. If someone beats you in an exam, they worked harder or more efficiently.

Learning anything is simply effort .....be it a fact about minerals or a fact about football stats or about heart attacks. It is JUST information and the effort to learn it.

So if you want to smash the exam, smash the revision. There is no shortcut.

snare x

Oh and academia 101, never trust another student. They will tell you they found it hard, couldn't revise and did no work.....then get 98% for something that took 4 weeks of slaving over for you to get 75%. Don't be fooled.... they slogged. It is still as yet impossible to download information to your brain without effort! It is however, easy to lie. It is a common thing, so ignore it x They want to give the impression they can know things without learning it, it speaks of their immaturity, ego and pride. Maybe it is more of a competitive medic issue, but look out for it.

• zebagain
    zebagain

I am dyslexic and bi-polar and this was not discovered until i was well past youth and school exams that would fill me with utter fear. I learned from a kindly gent years later at exams:

On the word go pick up the paper and read it through. Pencil mark the ones that you have instant recall on until you have read the whole paper over.

The answer those 'easy ones' making sure you clearly number them. By the time you have done these you will have ploughed through alot of the paper. AND, you will have calmed down quite a bit.

Look at the other questions and be surprised what you will now recall.

The questions that you have a blank on--leave.

Do the others come back to that real stinker last and write out just what you do know.

Dear Lord i wish i had known this method all those years ago. Please let me/us know how you go.

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Hey, thanks for the replies. I'll use those methods, let's see how they work out for me. Snare&racket, I know that the main reason I'm procrastinating many times is because of the fear of failure. Thanks for the tips and for the encouragement. I know such students who are telling everyone how they didn't study anything and still scored high. It can be really annoying and demotivating sometimes.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Marking to print out later.

LL

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Use a text-speech cpnverter and make it into and audio file. Hit the repeat on your mp3 player and listen through the day... at work, walking the dog, cooking etc.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Well done mister snare, it's really good of you (and all the other posters) to share your knowledge, it takes time to do this, and it's appreciated by many. And you being a 'wordly' too . . . Who'da thunk !

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

I use different coloured highlighters and use the little questions at the bottom of each paragraph.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit