How do you study? What are your methods of memorizing big amount of text?

by will-be-apostate 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I have a great system for memorizing, but I can't remember it right now.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Not to be rude, please how about this link?

http://www.learningassistance.com/2006/january/mnemonics.html

My learning strategy is repetition. Going over and over again. It has worked. I also like waking up at 3am when my brain is fresh. You need to recall that each one of us have certain optimum time of hours when our brains are at their best. In my case, 3am-6am works best.

Scott77

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Scott,

There is evidence that studying at night to learn material covered in class is not a good idea. For some reason, a night of sleep helps you retain the information.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Waking up at 3am puts you between two major sleep cycles... I wouldn't use it to memorize anything but to each their own

• Island Man
    Island Man

I don't know what mineralogy is like but one thing I have learned about learning is that you have to try to fully understand what you want to remember. Don't try to remember at first - just try to fully understand - try and see the logic behind it and meditate on it. Once you fully understand then remembering becomes much easier. When you fully understand, it is possible in some circumstances, to deduce facts that you may have forgotten. It's like understanding Math versus remembering steps to perform a calculation. If you understand Math you can figure out how to calculate something even if you forgot the sequence of steps you were taught. You also have to love your subject.

• Island Man
    Island Man

" I have a great system for memorizing, but I can't remember it right now."

• Island Man
    Island Man

I think teaching Latin at school was a great help to the previous generations. Much of the technical jargon used in various fields use terms that are based on Latin root words so having some knowledge of Latin made it easier to connect many technical terms in various fields like biology, chemistry, etc with the ideas they referred to.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Had to teach myself basic latin for medicine, when it came to learning anatomy and nomenclature. It really helped!

• KateWild
    KateWild

Kate, forgive me....can you remind me again what course/degree you did, which uni? I am sincerely not being rude, just don't remember.- Snare

Applied Chemistry, LJMU.

It was an elective module, we had a choice between Astrophysical Chemistry or Alchemy to Ecstacy. These two electives were designed to "give us a break" from the main core modules. Sadly all the teenagers picked the Alchemy module because they wanted to learn about illicit drugs, I picked Astrophysical Chemistry, but the module didn't run because there wasn't enough interest.

I was forced onto the Alchemy module. I learnt it all by writing things down over and over again but I couldn't hold a conversaion with a Doctor about Alchemy because I promtly forgot it all after the exams.

I love organic chemistry, it's fabulous and amazing.

Kate xx

• Scott77
    Scott77

Scott,

There is evidence that studying at night to learn material covered in class is not a good idea. For some reason, a night of sleep helps you retain the information.

Band on the Run
    Waking up at 3am puts you between two major sleep cycles... I wouldn't use it to memorize anything but to each their own
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I forget to indicate that in order to wake up at 3am, I tend to go to bed between 8:30am-9am. That is 6hrs of sleep time. Iam not a fun of night study. by the way, this link should be of interest to some.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/17/the-first-thing-these-suc_n_3588482.html

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit