Vacation Destination: Looking for Input

by confusedandalone 39 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

So when the kids get out of school we plan on going away for 3 to 4 weeks for vacation but we want to go somewhere that is actually enjoyable and not just packed full of things for the kids to do. Cruises are out, to confining. I live in the U.S. so I want to abroad an continue to get the kids passports stamped so they can be exposed to as many cultures as possible.

Any ideas and why you would suggerst them would be great.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Come to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

http://www.tourismmoosejaw.ca/

This is where Al Capone holed up during prohibition.

Take the trolley.

Cruise Al Capone's underground tunnels on a guided theatrical tour.

Soak in the geothermal mineral pool at Temple Gardens.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

CAA.....how adventurous do you want to be? How old are the kids?

You could rent from airbnb in Argentina, and there are day trips and 2-3 day trips in family friendly hostles you could do. Different culture, language, and scenery......and there is amazing steak and wine for the grown ups. Iguazu Falls, Bariloche, hikeing, seeing land glaciers break off into the lakes, etc... Really great.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

We want to be very adventurous! We have been to literally everywhere in the US... not literally but enough to know we are done here

We have been to most of the Carib

jgnat as much as I would like to I can't go to Canada for that long of a period because I know my kids would probably not get the culture shock I want them to have. Maybe for a shorter trip. My wife also hates Toronto so every time I mention Canda to her she goes into her discussion about all her family that lives throughout Canda etc.. etc... I actually was talking to another poster from Canada and she mentioned Sas so I may plan a shorter trip there.

Been to U.K., not very enjoyable and a smidge to "something" for me and the wife. Scotland however is on the list

Has anyone been to New Zealand? We also were interested in Mali or Ghana as well? Any experiences would be great.

• eva luna
    eva luna

What is your heritage?

I would consider exploring this.

I did this with my kids. It is something they will never forget.

As a JW, we were taught it was nationalistic to be proud of your history.

So off we went to Europe...smile

ps . we hit youth hostils. Great for meeting people and many have rooms for families . In Italy there are what is called agritourisimos..)sp?). An intersting style of travel too.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

eva great option.

I am african american but a while back we did DNA testing on my side and we found out we have roots with the Hausa people of Africa. However with the current crisis we wrote of visiting Nigeria, Cameroon and Niger for the time being especially for a long period right now. We were looking into going to Ghana as my wife from Jamaica has roots there. We are really thinking about that, as well as Mali for similar reasons.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I am one of those people who has found their ideal location for a holiday - Malta in the Mediterranean.

The most outstanding aspect of Malta for me is the people. I have never met such a generous, friendly, and sincerely hospitable nation of people anywhere - and most of the Maltese speak English!

They have beautiful beaches, the island is soaked in history, and turquoise blue waters are child safe (no tides) and fantastic for snorkelling!

Not enough time to tell you everything!! Google it!!

HAVE A GREAT VACATION WHEREVER YOU GO!

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Have you considered Romania? Not as exotic as New Zealand, but there are some nice places to visit and quite a bit amount of culture too,a few medieval styled cities and mountains as well as the Danube Delta. While here you could also visit Budapest, Hungary (also an awesome place). These two countries are adjacent to eachother.

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's a long way from Moose Jaw to Toronto, LOL. Maybe next time.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

The Greek island of Kefalonia is spectacular. It's where Captain Corelli's mandolin was filmed. It's relatively unspoiled too. Lots of small restaurants and tavernas. We loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqiwOrahW_E

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit