QFR August 15, 2014 - Resurrection and Marriage

by wisdomfrombelow 69 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

The article addressed Luke 20:34-36 and now they finally admit Jesus could have been referring to the heavenly resurrection. They said "Put simply, the answer is that we cannot say" which is surprising because they have something to say about EVERYTHING. Perhaps all the old people who are waiting the New World as widow and widowers want to know if they have a chance to be reunited with their dead loved one.

• sir82
    sir82

Didn't they have a "we cannot say" QFR on that topic maybe 8 or 10 years ago?

Or is this article more strongly asserting their ignorance?

Actually, I'd go from my current [1 on a scale of 1-10] level of respect for these bozos to maybe a [1.5] if they just said "we don't know" more often.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Do they follow up the "we don't know" with their own speculation anyways?

• pixel
    pixel

They get into this "we think", "yes"/"no" because they dont let the Bible speak for itself.

Its obvious that Jesus was referring to a heavenly resurrection. Period.

• steve2
    steve2

So all these "happily" married witnesses, widowed or not, may well live happily married ever after after all. Aw gee, I'm a sucker for a lovely fairy tale. Mormons, who have long championed the eternality of marriage will say, "We could've told you that!"

So for decades they assert when you die and you're not one of the 144,000, you won't still be married or be able to marry. And now they say, We can't say for sure. Presumably that was "true" decades ago - but it didn't stop them then making dogmatic assertions. Shows what happens when humans put themselves in positions of "interpreting" and determining and promulgating Biblical "truth".

• BU2B
    BU2B

I can just hear the JWs crowing about how humble the GB must be to make this adjustment! This really must be God's organization!

This doctrine always bothered me since I was a kid. It is quite clear the scripture was referring to heaven. That is the only way it makes sense. Like Steve2 said, yet another doctrine that was "food at the proper time" and "truth" has been changed.

Why dont they just release QFR that admits the truth. That they really dont KNOW anything and every doctrine of theirs is merely a guess just like this one was.

Just like every decision they make this one was calculated. Many older JWs are disturbed and depresses about growing old and being separated from their spouse forever. They know that this change will keep them going. Just dangle the carrot a little closer, make it look more palatable but yet out of reach. Also this doctrine does not impact their power monopoly so they saw no harm in changing it.. Only upside.

• pixel
    pixel

This verse is so unconfortable to them because it breaks the lock they have to people that believe in going to heaven.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I remember expressing this thought years ago in conversation with other JW's while I was a full fledged believer. Running ahead of God's Organization. How many JW's will nod and appreciate this better understanding because it was breathed by the GB. Grrrrr

• dothemath
    dothemath

Actually Jesus must have been referring to an earthly resurrection....the way to heaven wasn't possible until after Jesus' death, plus he mentions Abraham and others (I think) in the same argument to the Sadducees who brought the whole question up....and they are not of the heavenly class. Of course I know that all the watchtowr beliefs are messed up. I would be interested to see how other religions view this.

• trujw
    trujw

It still does not answer what spouse they are suppose to be reunited with. What if your true love died after 30 years of marriage and with slim picking in JW land you marry someone you really don't like and they die a year later. How does that work? How about Salomon's hundreds of wife's? Or is the article saying its free game time with you being able to get a new hotty if your dead spouse was a dud. Talk about akward lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit