Why are some of you guys calling this new arrangement tithing?

by neverendingjourney 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Giordano
    Giordano

We can call it the 'coerced obligatory monthly donation forever'. And when you die the WTBTS will expect to be in your Will.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

So one can practice "tithing" as a reference to a systematic portion given to "God" without it necessarily being exactly 1/10th of a given whole. To me, to "tithe" refers more to the arrangement of it all since the amount is all relative anyway.

Antioch ...

Good point. It does not have to be 10% or an exact amount. Similar to tipping restaurant employees here in the US. Normally, 15% is expected, but 18-20% is expectedl if you are given good service (Spiritual Food for the Week).

Rub a Dub

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Thanks for bringing this up, neverendingjourney. You guys are missing the point by talking about percentages. This is not a tithe because individual JWs are not being asked to pledge anything. Pledges are promises which are followed up on if the pledger does not come through. JWs are being asked what they intend to give. This is (supposed to be) done anonymously. There is no record of what they wrote down attached to their name, so the publishers cannot be harrassed later by the elders because they said they would give an amount and haven't given it yet that month.

People really need to stop blowing stuff out of proportion. This isn't even a new thing. Slips have been passed around asking for estimated contributions on numerous occasions.

• twice shy
    twice shy

@ antioch I guess my question is, what specifically did the WT condemn about "tithing"? I am not read up on that. Did they specifically condemn the 10% part? Or the arrangement of consistent expected amounts? I dunno.

They condemned the churches constantly having their hands out. Constantly being in their members pockets. Receiving salaries and such.

Yet the society has come to be no different. They just say its all donations. Witness pay for cars, homes, med insurance and such all broke down into small monthly fees for each publisher worldwide. When you add up all the different monthly or yearly dues/fees for the different categories it does come up to a significant amount for poor people. In paying your publisher monthly fee of $ for ex. the KOA fund.

These are forms of tithing. Just depends on which definition you use.

They used to boast that all would be provided whether you gave or not. I guess that isn't the case any longer. They never passed a collection plate around, they still ask for monies though. They don't have collection plates they are much greedier. They have boxes that hold more.

Also, they would boast a life of frugality, but Rutherford lived like a mega church Pastor in Christendom with all materials paid for and supplied by the publishers. At least their homes and such weren't built on the backs of their members by free labor in diguise of preparing Jehovah's earthly kingdom for the resurected.

This is slight off topic, but has anyone seen financials for any of the GB?

I wonder will they start issuing ipads to the publishers to help advance the kingdom work?

• twice shy
    twice shy

@gentledawn and nvrl

So basically they are getting a check every month from each congregation every month. Sounds beter than social security and welfare. All for freeand tax free too. Wow

They are have real progressive thinkers at the society.

• cofty
    cofty

What Apognophos said.

Nobody is obliged to donate anything yet. There is a definite shift in emphasis but so far there is anonymity and no method of tracing individuals giving.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

What Apognophos said.

Nobody is obliged to donate anything yet. There is a definite shift in emphasis but so far there is anonymity and no method of tracing individuals giving.

To Cofty and Apognophos' points, there's a lot there already to criticize without the need for overstatements. Nobody's denying that there's been a shift in how donations are being emphasized.

A tithing arrangement is on one end of the spectrum. Never mentioning money at all is on the other end. This new arrangement is somewhere in between, but a shift in degrees on that spectrum is not the same as moving all the way down to the extreme end of it.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Synonyms: assessment, bite*, brokerage, capitation, contribution, cost, custom, dues, duty, excise, expense, fine, giveaway, imposition, impost, levy, obligation, pork barrel, price, rate, salvage, tariff, tithe, toll, towage, tribute

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

How can it be "anonymous" when publishers are instructed to return their pledge slips to the COBE or another elder?

• Laika
    Laika

This isn't even a new thing. Slips have been passed around asking for estimated contributions on numerous occasions.

Really? When? (not saying you're wrong Apognophos, just curious)

Most churches that practice tithing only 'encourage' it, it's not generally mandatory, and usually anonymous. Similarly 'passing the plate' is not required giving, but both can place pressure on the Congregation member to give, a pledge does the same thing. Though I think atm what's most interesting about this system will be seeing what direction (if any) they take it in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit