Why are some of you guys calling this new arrangement tithing?

by neverendingjourney 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"Language is a funny thing. My understanding is that strictly, it means a "tenth."" - Antioch

I agree. In Spanish the word is "diezmo", and is commonly used and accepted when payments or contributions are given on regular bases. It doesn't have to be monthly installments nor 1/10 of any particular amount of money.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Really? When? (not saying you're wrong Apognophos, just curious)

I know you didn't direct this question at me, but I remember as far back as 20 years ago slips were being passed around in my hall for the local assembly hall project. It was the same drill. Write down how much you think you can contribute. The slips would be passed down the rows and an attendant would walk by to pick up the slips. It was supposed to be anonymous and you were instructed not to write your name on it. The justification for this was that HQ needed this info for budgeting purposes.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

NEJ: The justification for this was that HQ needed this info for budgeting purposes.

True it's not an entirely new way of doing things. But this is the first time it's being done internationally in congregations around the globe. We've got people saying they're doing this in the US, Canada and England. It'd be good to know if it's happening in other countries. (If we've had reports, I missed them).

Also, in the past, this was for a specific local project and it was for a specific (although often delberately vague) period of time. Now it's forever!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Various temporary projects have been planned using slips like this before.

How can it be "anonymous" when publishers are instructed to return their pledge slips to the COBE or another elder?

Well, I don't think the letter gave instructions on how to get the slips back from publishers. Some elder bodies may be asking for the slips to be handed back to a brother (that still doesn't mean he is (1) looking at them when they're handed to him, as opposed to just stuffing them in his briefcase, and (2) actually making a record of what each person wrote), but in some halls the slips will probably just be returned by placing them in a contribution box.

In my congregation, we aren't doing slips at all because there was already a mortgage, so the brothers are just going to continue giving that amount to the KH fund.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

True it's not an entirely new way of doing things.

I don't disagree. Like I've said, the Watchtower is clearly moving in the direction of being more vocal about donations. That's been the trend for as far back as I can remember. This newest measure is clearly a significant development in that process and deserves attention being called to it. If for nothing else, because it betrays the original view regarding contributions that the religion was founded on.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Apognophos: In my congregation, we aren't doing slips at all because there was already a mortgage, so the brothers are just going to continue giving that amount to the KH fund.

So your elders are basically disobeying the intent and the letter of the letter. Cool!

They won't be elders much longer.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

NEJ: it betrays the original view regarding contributions that the religion was founded on.

Exactly!

Now we're on the same page.

SP

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

So your elders are basically disobeying the intent and the letter of the letter. Cool!

Huh? The original letter said that the congregations with mortgages could continue giving the same amount as the mortgage. I know there's been a second letter saying that there are further instructions coming and not to decide on an amount yet, and I don't know what those instructions will be nor what the elders will decide to give. I was simply reporting what I heard when the original letter was read from the platform and then the elder explained what the body was planning to do. Obviously once the second letter hits, they won't be doing anything until they hear more from the Society. They'll be in abeyance.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Unless they stipulate 10%, it is not tithing. However, it is a pledge--you are signing away a fixed amount per month. This could be somewhere around 10 toilet papers a month (enough, at today's prices, to get yourself a fine flashlight for those nuisance blackouts that seem to happen whenever you are in Walmart for whatever). Or, it could be buffed to whatever they see fit--and, if they think you should live on 600 toilet papers a month, and you are making 1800 after taxes, they could demand 1200 a month out of you. Neither situation is tithing.

I have a better word for it--paying for your own damnation. This is more true, whether you are paying 0.01% or 99.9% of your income. It amounts to communism when you are required to do this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit