The New Donation/Tithing Arrangment and Unbelieving/Inactive Mates

by Oubliette 19 Replies latest members private

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

On another thread, carla raised a very interesting question concering the New Donation/Tithing Arrangement. She asked:

Would they be instructed to tell non jw spouses about their 'tithing' agreement? A forced amount that comes out of the family budget? If so, I will have to take an equal amount to donate to anti-witness causes. I wonder how the elders would see that?

I have two friends that have completely faded and quit going to meetings, yet their spouses still go. I contacted them this week with this very question. Neither of their wives had told them about the new donation/tithing arrangement!

What do the rest of you know about this kind of situation? This is just one more practice/policy from the WTBTS Leadership that drives a wedge between active JWs and their family members that are not.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Good question - thankfully my wife has not been going recently and anyway she knows my attitude to giving the WBTS our money and we have a joint bank account so if she did a direct debit I would see it. But if I got any inkling she was making a more than nominal monthly donation to those miserable b'st'rds I would stop giving her spending money to suplement her income, which would curtail her ability to assist her family. So I am pretty sure she wouldn't do that. But I pity those poor UBMs whose wives keep them in the dark and who are probably providing financial support to the WBTS without even knowing it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Oubliette - "I have two friends that have completely faded and quit going to meetings, yet their spouses still go. I contacted them this week with this very question. Neither of their wives had told them about the new donation/tithing arrangement!"

Even money says that whatever outward appearance they may project, deep down they're ashamed and embarrassed about it.

• carla
    carla

oh blah, I don't even want to have this conversation with my jw. It will have to wait until I am fully up to speed on the whole issue and have the inclination for a 'jw discussion'.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

My wife wants to switch halls. I am going to tell her that there is no need to turn in our survey because it would throw off the count. I am also going to remind her that the WTBTS just made 1 Billion dollars from property sales, and that since our KH has an extra $300.00 a month, now that our debt is "cancelled." Since the Eldubs are keeping part of the letter secret, my wife will never know that the GB want more money. She may just think that the existing funds can just be ear-marked for something else.

If she wants to make an issue of it then I will have to remind her of the pedo lawsuits. If she wants to give more then she can increase her work hours and stop going D2D so much. I will have to make it clear that ZERO from my check goes to the WTBTS. I am going to lose out when it comes to gas and vehicle wear and tear, but whatever. You can't win them all...

DD

• David7676
    David7676

As far as I Know their is no tithing system. One of my close friends is Don McClean. The donation boxes are on the back wall,and people give as they see fit.

• Listener
    Listener

David - one of my close friends is Don McClean

So what, who are you trying to impress?

Most of us are aware that the donation boxes are in the back of the hall and people can donate as they wish. The org. should just stick with that arrangement rather than having people pledge and make resolutions, there is absolutely no need for it, it is not biblical and the org. is causing people to stumble when they can't meet their pledges.

• stillin
    stillin

David, hopefully, the WTS will drive their "Chevy" to the levy and the levy will be dry.

anyhow, welcome!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

David, you must live near me. Do you know Grant Driscoll?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Welcome, David7676. Hope you stick around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit