The New Donation/Tithing Arrangment and Unbelieving/Inactive Mates

by Oubliette 19 Replies latest members private

• out4good3
    out4good3

My wife has said nothing about this. She probably knows that if she did, she would get blown out of the water by me. I accompanied her to an assembly one day and saw her handing another relative money to put in the contribution box for her. I suspect that it was little less than $20, however, even then, the look on my face told her that I didn't appreciate that very much.

You might call me a cheap bastard, but, so what.

Since my wife doesn't work and has been completely dependent upon me for support for the past 20 years, this is an issue I will be paying close attention into. Although she is given plenty of money to spend that I don't ask about and doesn't have to be accounted for, I have no interest in pledging "by proxie" any monthly funds to the WT goon squad.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I can tell you that my mum is not happy about the amount dad wanted to "sign up" for!

• KateWild
    KateWild

Good point Oub, I suppose most JWs that live in divided households will be overlooked by their elders and not have to give a pledge, especially if their "head" is the UBM. This pledge survey is really a stupid idea indeed. It just highlights the issues in the WT.

Kate xx

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

My wife does not share with me anything that goes on at the kingdom hall so I wouldn't know about the new donation arrangement if I hadn't seen it here. I am the only earner in our home and l handle all the finances. My wife uses her bank card and she very rarely carries cash. She never showed concerns about donating at the kingdom hall before so I doubt this will change.

By the way pledging money has been done for quite a while. Decades ago when the Montréal assembly hall was built a financial survey was done and it was said that if every publisher donated $480 the hall would be paid for. This hall has long been paid for and now the WTS leases it back $25000 a weekend to those who built and paid for it...

• Clambake
    Clambake

Hello

UBM here. Can someone explain to me what is going on ??

Funny thing is about six months ago there was this talk given about “ how to identify the true religion” and this elder was telling this story about his grandparents moved to this new community and the Catholic church wanted to register new members and the first thing they did was ask for money.

Between changing the meaning of the FDS and now charging membership it’s like they don’t even care anymore. I can’t wait they elect a Pope and order the mass suicide.

• Clambake
    Clambake

Mind you, the last CO visit it was annouced we gave him ( 40 publishers ) a grand total of 142 dollars. I almost broke out laughing when they annouced that.

It is so important be there when he visits but somehow we can't give two craps if he enough money to make it out of town.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I spend $1.86 per day for a cup of coffee. That's $56.00 a month.

We don't as a family give that much on our monthly donation based on the publisher ratio average (old arrangement).

I have a nice warm hall to attend with utilities paid, a comfortable chair to sit in, a nicely landscaped environment. Somebody opens the door for us with a smile, and welcomes us, without expecting a tip.

I like it. It's not for everyone, I understand. Non beleivers should stay away. But, what do you spend your $56.00 per month on? Booze? Cigarrettes? Crack(sorry Mayor Ford)?

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

QB - what are you doing on JWN? You don't seem to be an Apostate.

• losingit
    losingit

Haha Quarterback! because those that don't go to the meetings automatically spend their extra money on booze, cigarettes or crack! Grow up and stop being so judgmental.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Oubliette:

I have visions of some inactive/unbelieving husbands flipping out that their wives pledged money to this awful religion.

I can see an irate husband going to the hall and demanding that his money be refunded because he never gave permission for his wife to donate his hard earned money!

Quarterback:

Yes, it's true that booze, cigarettes and crack might be unwise things to spend money on. But, it would be far better, in MY opinion, to donate money to the Salvation Army. At least they aren't knocking college and careers or pushing poverty and they serve a useful purpose in the world.

And, you are right. Unbelievers should stay away from the JW religion and I certainly DO!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit