What is the biggest regret or source of resentment because of being a Jehovahs Witness?

by stuckinarut2 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

A very easy one for me to answer right now - while working into the late evening on the On line Engineering Course (Advanced Diploma) that I am in the process of completing!

Not only did they prevent me from going to university, but the local elders even stopped me from completing the apprenticeship that I subsequently started, as a telecommunications technician (I gave that away after just 12 months on the job). That is an example of what lengths they took things to in the pre-1975 hype, at least in this part of the world.

While I was later able to gain a trade by the "Mature Age Apprentice" route, that still none-the-less inflicted great hardship on my family, something I deeply resent to this day. While it is true enough that it is "never too late" to gain a qualification, it can still be too late for that same qualification to have an effect on ones career prospects.

This is why I elected to go for the two-year Advanced Diploma Course, rather than the Bachelor of Engineering Degree. By the time I completed the Bachelor Course (part time - so that would be eight years) I would expect to be well and truly retired from the workforce (at least, my wife certainly hopes so!)

So, yes, #!%^ them and their damn-fool ideas about "Higher Education."

Bill.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Wow! What a read! I just read every post and feel so sad for so many of you. I am not a JW, my brother and his family are and have been for decades, that said,  i have a big regret.

About 10 years ago, my JW brother was very sick and in intensive care in the hospital. Surrounded by his worldly family and not one JW from his cong [aside from his wife and children]. He was having a crisis of JW faith and we [his siblings] encouraged him to keep his faith [we had no idea how bad the WTS truly was]. 

Looking back, that was a huge miss that we could have used to perhaps help free him from this terrible cult.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

admittedly, mine is hollow and shallow compared to everyone elses.

I just wanted to comment after reading all the others.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

TTWSYF,

Thanks for sharing yours with us, too.

From my experience, all of us in our own different ways have regrets - regrets that could often totally consume a person. I guess we all, too, in time discover ways to live with these regrets. In my case, I try to remind myself that it is impossible to turn back the clock. What you can do, though, is make sure that you work things so that you have no further regrets.

My five cents worth, anyway!

• Simon
    Simon
    Oh my goodness, how useless am I? I made my last post whilst half asleep at 7 o'clock on a Sunday morning. It's NOT our Silver Wedding anniversary next year but our THIRTIETH!

Uh oh ... you are in big trouble if she finds out your got it wrong.

I rely on the fact that we got married in a year that was also memorable for other things. Yes, I have a Windows 95 wifey :)

I think most people's regrets are similar: not being able to make their own choices for education, career, dating and so on. But we shouldn't get too down about them - lots of people are denied more or fewer choices for varying reasons. We all make the best of what we have and try to give our children better options than the ones we were given.

My eldest will be going to university next year. I'm proud to see him able to have the opportunities that I didn't.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    That we trusted that these people (JW friends/family) had our best interests at heart and cared for us. Shame on us for thinking this way. 
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

"My eldest will be going to university next year. I'm proud to see him able to have the opportunities that I didn't."

Congratulations, I know exactly how you feel Si' :)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/142635/tomorrow-will-one-proudest-days-my-life?page=1&size=10

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit