Contemplating a Major Life Change.

by Joe Grundy 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

And a further update.

Just spoke to xw#1. She is contemplating buying a house in France, would be a bit complicated, etc. But - if I was to rent it from her for the half-year she'd need to be in the UK working, win all round, I think. Maybe a solution is in sight.

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

Go for it!

• tornapart
    tornapart

Sounds brilliant! We have lots of hols in the Pyrenees (french side) in the summer and you're right about the scenery, it's stunning. So peaceful too, great slow pace of life. Not actually been to Andorra though I imagine it's not too different from the rest of the Pyrenees. Hope you find what you're looking for!

• likeabird
    likeabird

When I came back for visits home, people could not understand why a life of sun, sea, cold beer, etc., could pall - but it does. It turns into 'nothing else to do but to walk on the beach, then go to a bar, drink beer I really don't want and speak to fellow ex-pats I'd rather avoid.'

Forgive me if I'm raining on the party and probably missing the point at the same time, but living abroad is not always as glamourous as we imagine. (As you already know from Cyprus) Holidays and everyday life in a country are two totally different things. And in a country where we don't speak the language, ex-pats may be our only company for at least the first 6-12 months. Administration and paperwork may also be an ongoing and incomprehensible nightmare - only made worse by the language and cultural barrier.

My apologies if my comment is out of place.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

likeabird:

You are exactly right. The problem I have found when contemplating life in some small lovely towns in France or elsewhere is 'whay would I do all day?'. And there is a need to factor in the costs of fairly frequent trips back to visit family, etc.

My plan would be to spend no longer than three months at a time wherever I went then return to UK for a visit. That way (with luck) I could avoid having to deal with local bureaucracy - re-registering the car, etc. - and my travel insurance, car insurance, etc., should cover it.

This is a bit like being a kid in a sweetshop - almost too many options!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

hmmm just took a look a that website to rent a place in France. Sounds like a great thing to do - rent a room or apt in a real french town and take in the athmosphere. Very good prices for US standards.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My doc says the French are happier and healthier than Americans. You are fortunate to have an opportunity like this to seriously consider.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hey, it's big enough for two families...

What to do all day? Write, do art work, garden, research, site see, learn to do sculpture, garden....

• likeabird
    likeabird

Joe Grundy - Life in the French countryside or small towns can be painfully boring. Also if you're contemplating driving back and forth, the motorways can be quite expensive and the free roads very long. PM me if want more information.

Flying High Now - your Dr makes me laugh! I'm guessing he never lived there! Don't you know that a favorite pasttime in France is to complain. And if there is nothing to complain about (as usually is the case) then something will be invented to complain about!

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Try Portugal ... ;)

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit