Contemplating a Major Life Change.

by Joe Grundy 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Well, an update on this. No response to the messages I left re this advert but I haven't followed it up. That would have been too easy, I suppose.

Still extremely unsettled. I check out ferry prices/deals daily.

I recently spent a week with my daughter and grandson, including taking him out for the day with xw#1. She also loves France and a couple of years ago contemplated moving there. I talked this through with her, she thinks I should go and she'd love to go too.

I live just 5 mins away from my son, estranged DiL (we all get on fine) and my grand-daughters (4 & 2). They are very special to me (and coming for dinner later today). I would miss them very much.

And there's another complication. I am close to a lady who lives a few hundred miles away. She is a university teacher, separated from her husband, doing her PhD. She would love to move in with me but there's an issue. I am 58 going on 40. She's 60+ going on 60+. Worlds apart, really.

I need to do more thinking. Or I need to do less thinking.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I just re-read my own posts, and now I'm going to respond to them. This might be extremely 'bad form' and etiquette but then, I'm not really whole-heartedly into this electronic and social media stuff anyway - so forgive me.

I have thought through the complications and also realised that unlike many people who contemplate just buggering off, I've done it before, I've lived abroad, so it's no big deal.

I've also realised that although there's only four years between my friend and I chronologically, in reality there's a generation between us. I'm not ready to take my dinner at 6 pm and then watch TV for a couple of hours.

France beckons, and I'm working out some dates. Mid-September is looking good.

• Scott77
    Scott77
    France beckons, and I'm working out some dates. Mid-September is looking good.
    Joe Grundy

Keep us updated, Joe Grundy.

Scott77

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Just back from a 10 day trip to Andorra to visit a friend. A superb country with much to commeend it. Stunning scenery, healthy living and a cheap cost of living.

Very tempted.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Good man! Keep us posted. I might tap you up for some info as well, I so want to move abroad...

Would you consider Cyprus again?

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Did you say cheap cost of living?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

And of course visitors would be welcome ...

Go for it; then I a point of contact for a visit. BTW, I'm a Grundy, or will be again in about a month when my divorce is final and I take back my maiden name. My grandfather was from Bristol.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

'Would you consider Cyprus again?'

No. It is a bankrupt, corrupt, third world country. I was lucky not to buy property there and get stuck (as so many are).

When I came back for visits home, people could not understand why a life of sun, sea, cold beer, etc., could pall - but it does. It turns into 'nothing else to do but to walk on the beach, then go to a bar, drink beer I really don't want and speak to fellow ex-pats I'd rather avoid.'

And. of course, you're living on an island. Only way on and off is by air - subject to air fares and a 20kg limit. No more of that for me, thanks.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

'Did you say cheap cost of living?'

Well, in my limited experience, yes.

Apartment rent about €500 pcm, diesel €1.13 litre, property tax c. €100 pa, no income tax, cigs €2/20, food prices very reasonable, beer in a top-class hotel €3/500ml, etc. The average yearly salary is about €12,000 pa. So, yes I would say that the cost of living is cheap compared to UK, US, and most of Europe.

It's all subjective, of course, but superb steaks and several beers for two were €30. My morning cafe charged €2 for a double espresso and (a one-off treat) €4 for a very large cognac.

In the capital (full of designer shops) I bought two tee shirts and two polo shirts for €20.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

'Go for it; then I a point of contact for a visit. BTW, I'm a Grundy, or will be again in about a month when my divorce is final and I take back my maiden name. My grandfather was from Bristol.'

My user name is taken from the grumpy old bugger in 'The Archers', the BBC world's longest running soap opera.

Congrats on your divorce. I've had two, and they were life-changing in a good way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit