"we must be ready to obey, even if it doesnt sound reasonable from a human standpoint"

by stuckinarut2 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

stuckinarut2:

I feel very sorry for any remaining JWs who are gullible enough to listen to this garbage. The whole religion is just tragic. That's all I can say.

I hate to say "I told you so" about this new "donation" arrangement but it does not surprise me.

I saw the handwriting on the wall and I had many reasons to walk away from the religion years ago. I am so grateful to be DONE with it!

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

God will take care of our pets,..

God speaking "Hey Angel,..... yeah you!,.. Why don't you go down there to Earth and "take care of that pet" for me,..wink wink, if you know what I mean" tee hee

NJY

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

" I feel very sorry for any remaining JWs who are gullible enough to listen to this garbage . The whole religion is just tragic . That's all I can say."

I couldn't agree more with this. I feel sorry for the smitten witnesses who are so faith-struck they can't even see the chaos in their midst. My own husband is right there with them.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Hey There:

So sad. I do believe many JWs are like the proverbial frogs in the water who are boiled to death and they can't even see what is happening to them.

It is a sad state of affairs in the religion. First, you check your brain at the door. Then, you are told to let down your guard and "widen out". There are too many ways to be victimized in that place. All the togetherness and nosiness is not normal. People do not respect boundaries.

Now....the religion has gone back on its word and many things are changing for the worse right before everybody's eyes.

Reading all the shocking developments on here makes me glad I walked away!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

diana netherton - "...they're in denial."

I think a lot of rank-and-filers are going through that right now.

Nevertheless, the odd sense something is wrong is gradually getting louder and louder.

Eventually, denial is no longer an option.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

Longhairgal said: So sad. I do believe many JWs are like the proverbial frogs in the water who are boiled to death and they can't even see what is happening to them...It is a sad state of affairs in the religion. First, you check your brain at the door. Then, you are told to let down your guard and "widen out". There are too many ways to be victimized in that place. All the togetherness and nosiness is not normal. People do not respect boundaries.

It really is. At first it sounds so sonderful - I mean who wouldn't wan to live forever in paradise with no sickness or death? And the love-bombing - I mean these people are amazing at this! Hugs, kind words, I am always told I am so beautiful, I am so smart, they love me like I am a flesh and blood sister...and even my 12 year old told me : "Mom, you know they will stop talking to you when you stop going! They are not real friends!" This was said to me by my child when I was trying to point out some positives about the people there.

She hates going, she doesnt believe it and will not get sucked in...but she goes along with it very well. We are both trying to be stategic, and I have told her that no matter what anyone ever tells her, that she should never blindly believe anything or anyo one without checking it out first.

Now how sad is that when you have to strategize about your "friends"???

Now I have noticed that most JWs that I meet are either born-in, raised in, or married in. I have yet to meet anyone that isn't older that just joined up...has anyone else noticed that?

Lemings...

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I wish that the News would pick-up on this. Headlines such as: " JW's pay membership fees". "The GB Takes from one hand, and gives to the other hand."

I wonder how those receiving Social Assistance can justify signing a pledge form

• finally awake
    finally awake

Magnum, I am so sorry. I hate losing a pet.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

someone mentioned on here earlier about the CO presenting a hypothetical situation about everyone being sent to the kingdom hall for days or weeks on end....and to drop everything and not to worry about our material things. The problem with that is.....if everyone went to the KH for days, weeks on end coutless people would lose jobs/houses as a result. Then after nothing happens after days/weeks/months people will leave the KH and there would be an enormous/massive exodus.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

This thread got me thinking about how else the phrase "ready to obey" is used in JW literature.

A very powerful method of getting ideas into someones head without too much effort is through music, especially familiar music.

The old JW song, Stay Awake, Stand Firm, Grow Mighty used to have the lines:

Stay awake and keep your senses,
    Always ready to obey.
    In his place each one be heeding
    What Christ Jesus has to say.
    From his fine example, we discern
    How Jehovah’s favor all can earn.
    So, as one, we serve as an army,
    Ever loyal to God’s way.

It was changed to give greater prominence and authority to the JW leadership:

Stay awake, and keep your senses,
    Always ready to obey,
    Stay alert to Christ's direction
    Through his faithful slave today.
    Heed the counsel of the older men,
    Who protect his sheep and truth defend.

No longer just about listening to Jesus - a fairly standard and relatively benign Christian trope, it is now explicitly about obeying the self-proclaimed 'Governing Body', who supposedly (and entirely unverifiably) are providing 'Christ's direction'.

To make the song even more 'hypnotic' than before, what was previously the final part of the last verse has been made a 'chorus' at the end of every verse:

Stay awake, stand firm, and grow mighty!
    Carry on right to the end!

Run. It's a cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit