Hi CoCo

Low-Fat. Been there-- Done!

FAT= Filling And Tasty!!

Good fats.

Few (if any) processed foods.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, happy eaters!

Signing off and heading to the dogs . . .

Love,

CoCo

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was a low carb diabetic diet. The doctor insisted that "low-fat" foods are dangerous to your health. They have to add chemicals and sugar to replace the fat. My blood sugar numbers were much better with normal food.

• kaik
    kaik

If I can get food that is normal, I would buy it over low fat. I stop buying yogurts because almost all of them are low fat. I use butter over artifical fat, and regularly make sauces with heavy or sour cream. I work out regularly and I never had BMI over 24.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I read labels and most of the time I have noticed when they take "fat" away, they replace it with some type of sugar.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

no if I have a choice. No low fat or no artificial sugar

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

nope. I'm a believer of whole fat foods, you eat less of it to get the same satisfied full feeling. I believe fat ( good fat) is important a salad dressing to get all the nurtients out of the raw veggies.

Moderation and as little pre processing as possible is always the motto in my belief. Foods with natural fats like nuts, avacado and salmon are some of the most perfect foods for your body. Beef, etc, raised on a small farm without the mass produced processes, is actually a healthy fat. That and eating foods as close to their natural state when preparing. I am a minimalist type cook, prefer nthe generations old recipies, ethnic staple foods, and simple.

I do tend to laugh each time I eat celery since it is actually a net negative calorie food, burning more calories to eat it than you get from it.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Kaik I found one or two yogurts that are full fat okios, and yoplait baby used to be easier to find. But they are VERY hard to find now. I now have a yogurt maker, though you can make it without any special equipment.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I did a low fat diet a long time ago when every one thought eating fat made you fat. I did lose weight, but I ended up having to get gall bladder surgery because of it. Your body uses bile to digest fat, and excess bile is stored in your gallbladder. If you do not eat fat for a long period of time, the gallbladder gets clogged up with bile and gallstones begin to form. The first full fat meal I ate after dieting caused a severe gallbladder attack. I felt the pain in my back, so I had no idea it was gallstones. The risk factors for gallstones are being female, overweight and over forty. Since I wasn't overweight and not quite forty, my doctor didn't think of gallstones when I asked him about my severe "back pain". By the time I was correctly diagnosed, it was so bad I had to have emergency surgery.

Eating low fat is not the way to lose weight. While it's true that if you create a calorie deficit you will lose weight no matter what you eat, eating low fat makes it that much harder to create a calorie deficit. Higher carbs meals will get digested and assimilated by the body faster and with no fat or protein to slow things down your blood sugar will spike and then drop, causing not only hunger but cravings for more carbs and sugar. Most carbs are quickly broken down into sugar, even whole grain carbs. What you think is lack of willpower to stick to a diet is just the end result of eating too many carbs. The carbs in fruits and veggies are not the problem, the carbs are not the kind your body can easily get at, it's the grain carbs that are the problem.

I have experimented with eating either cereal, fruit and low fat milk for breakfast, or eggs with tomatoes or fruit. With eggs I end up eating less calories in the long run, plus I have more energy during the morning. If you are eating correctly, you do not need to eat every two hours, we are not birds. There is a lot of nutrition in an egg, and dietary cholesterol does not mean higher serum cholesterol. I try to eat an egg every day. I still like granola sometimes, so I make my own with less sugar and more protein and fat that commercial granola, and I just eat a very small amount. I eat full fat dairy, if I can find it (I have to drink lactose free). It's amazing how much better it tastes. It's too bad that doctors advised eating less eggs for years, despite the fact that study after study failed to find any increased risk mortality from eating them.

I just had a scrambled egg with onions, prosciutto and avocado, it's was delicious.

• kaik
    kaik

When I was kid in Czechoslovakia, we did not had large producers of dairy products, no corporation making artificial food. Mostly they were made locally and distributed throughout the stores without preservatives. They were all made naturally. Yogurt was sold in glass jar where on the bottom were crushed strawberries filled with tarty yogurt and on top floated foam of heavy cream and whip cream. No Dannone or other dog food. When the borders opened, Germans and Austrians stormed the stores and buyed them at cases. Eventually through the 1990's the factories were sold to Dannone, Univeler, and other and they had disappeared from the market. For that reason, I just cannot get over eating artificial yogurt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit