Do you eat foods labeled "low-fat"?

by compound complex 21 Replies latest jw friends

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Oh, hell no! Besides my having an astronimically high metabolism, I'm just plain suspicious of what they replace the fat with: you gotta replace it with SOMETHING.

V665V665

• jgnat
    jgnat

Vampire, if a food is naturally low-fat or fat-free, there is nothing left to replace.

nonjwspouse, that negative-calorie thing about celery is one of our urban legends. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative-calorie_food

One gets skim milk by skimming the fat off the top. No high-tech tinkering or replacing required. Whey, a byproduct of cheese making, has the protein from the milk but not the fat and sugar. It is a common ingredient in fitness drinks.

WHERE THERE IS tinkering is in our processed foods. They are not tasty of themselves (like a fresh strawberry for instance), so fat, salt and sugar is added. Take out the fat, and typically more sugar is added. For that reason as a diabetic, I detest fat-reduced peanut butter. Leave the darned food alone.

I made some home-made hummus the other day. It's fat comes from a butter made from blended sesame seeds plus a little olive oil. Blend that with garlic, a little salt and chickpeas, and the taste is over the moon compared to the processed stuff. As long as I watch my portions (no more than a tablespoon at a time), I'm good.

BTW, we get lots of education about fiber making us regular, but I tell you, fat helps grease the works real good, too!

LisaRose, I agree, eggs are a wonderful protein boost first thing in the morning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit