International Convention

by msconcerned 29 Replies latest jw friends

• msconcerned
    msconcerned

An email forwarded to a friend. What do you make of it?

Below is a report about preparing for the Seattle, Washington International Convention. Helps you to realize that it is Jehovah’s will that we attend conventions and assemblies and that Jehovah is the one who makes it happen as long as we obey him and his channel.

To begin with, the brothers involved in working with the public for these international conventions all had to fly to NY and attend a special training on how to handle this according to the branch's specifications. Had to be done very professionally...
    Originally, the brothers tried to get either the Safeco Field (where the major league baseball team plays) or Century Link (where the football team plays) but neither place would schedule out as far as we needed (since they started this process a couple years ago). So they turned to the University of Washington for the beautiful Husky football stadium. They were promptly told they do NOT rent their stadium out to anyone! EVER! That it had to do with security issues and it just couldn't happen. So the brothers told the branch they couldn't get a place and the branch told the local brothers there would be no international convention on the west coast if they couldn't get a facility.

So they went back to the UW and talked to them some more. Again it was about security. So the brothers told them about our own security but they said it was Homeland security issues. They were told we would all have to submit to being searched before entering - bags, et al. The brothers said no problem.

Well, next they said to try to discourage us was they would have to have references (probably thinking we wouldn't have any!) from BIG stadiums like theirs - not little ones like the Tacoma Dome where we usually have the convention. So they told them they could call QualComm in San Diego and Dodger Stadium in L.A. So they called and asked them how they handle working with us; the security, cleaning, etc. and they both basically said they just hand the keys over and we take it from there... So UW FINALLY decided to make this 1 exception to rent it out to us!
    However, there was only ONE weekend all summer long that we could have it - the 4th of July weekend! It turns out - that was the one weekend the branch WANTED us to have it!!! They want this to be a HUGE witness to Seattle! (There are 3 states invited to attend - us, Idaho and Montana with a total of 34 or 37,000 expected.)

Next, the brothers had to find lodging at hotels that were used to getting $300/night and they were offering $140.! The hotels all said "NO WAY! We have gigantic cruise ships coming in here that are full of people who are willing to pay the $300. So after this went on for a while, the brothers got to feeling really disheartened about the whole thing and so they had to call the branch again and tell them they couldn't get lodging. The branch told them - "you keep hitting the walls and Jehovah will blow the trumpets" so they kept on asking. Finally, 1 of the major hotels changed their minds and gave in. After that, one by one they all gave in and accepted our offer!

All the attendants and brothers working in the facility, the parking lots and everywhere else will be having special training. The Governing Body wants EVERYONE to attend this event - including the elderly and infirm - so extra special attention is being given to how they can be accommodated comfortably. From the drop off and parking to their seating which will be the closest to the doors. And the congregations are expected to take care of the elderly and infirm in their own congregations while at the convention.

There are big, giant video screens in several places so that no one will have to turn their heads to view them and everyone will have a good view of the speaker!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Holy crap! Jehovah really must be behind this religion.. I shall, no I must return!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Love the ending, btw. I can hear it now....

"I wasnt going to go, but they have big screens so I wont have to turn my head or body"

• msconcerned
    msconcerned

Ha ha.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

Jehovah blesses the convention preparations like he blessed the printing of the 'silver sword' (weather).

I am so happy and relieved to NOT attend the first time a convention in my life (35 years old).

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

The last big International Convention I attended on the West Coast, most local JW's could not be bothered meeting any of the visitors.

I had to play quick, follow the leader to find and get to my seat and it still breaks my heart to think of one sweet, small Japanese sister, dressed in her native kimono speak out, but almost looking at the floor. I over heard her say, "Hello. I am from Japan. Hello. I am from Japan".

I couldn't stop, even for a quick smile and hello.

I am not cruel. It breaks my heart that I was insensitive to her.

I could not help it.

I looked for her after the program ended, but again, it was, quick, get in the car.

LoisLane

• trujw
    trujw

Hopefully god can also bless them with paper towels.

• Poztate
    Poztate

An email forwarded to a friend. What do you make of it?

99% percent bullshit ....1% facts
  • leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I heard about the security a couple of weeks ago. I'm so looking forward to standing in long lines waiting to get through security. There has been NO INFORMATION GIVEN to the congregations about this. It was just a quick mention by an elder in a comment. This ought to be fun.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

As poz says, take 1% truth and bullshit your way from there...

Originally, the brothers tried to get either the Safeco Field (where the major league baseball team plays) or Century Link (where the football team plays) but neither place would schedule out as far as we needed (since they started this process a couple years ago).

Maybe true, but both have teams playing through the summer so they don't want the Mariners or the soccer team to have to work around a cult convention. More likely, they are being cheap, as usual. Much cheaper to rent an old college stadium compared to a new pro stadium.

They were promptly told they do NOT rent their stadium out to anyone! EVER!

Calling bull on that one. Why wouldn't they? Its cash money, and its a public university, if you meet the requirements and have the $$$, you can rent it. Looked it up and apparently the stadium is under renovation.

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208228762

Maybe the only weekend offered was the fourth, as workers may be off, anyway maybe someone who attends can report back on if it was still being worked on or if its done by the fourth of July.

However, there was only ONE weekend all summer long that we could have it - the 4th of July weekend! It turns out - that was the one weekend the branch WANTED us to have it!!!

Uh huh, sure. More likely it was dirt cheap that weekend because large venues have a hard time renting out facilites because people are doing other things. I always thought how ridiculous it was that elder schools would be held over Xmas or Thanksgiving weekends in hotels because the hotel ain't gonna rent it out to anyone else at all, as nobody wants the venue over a holiday. More proof? GO to jw.org and look at how many conventions are being held over 4th of July this year, because the 4th lands on a Friday. Poor sap JWs are having that weekend completely destroyed this year!

Next, the brothers had to find lodging at hotels that were used to getting $300/night and they were offering $140.! The hotels all said "NO WAY! We have gigantic cruise ships coming in here that are full of people who are willing to pay the $300.

This doesn't make any sense on any level. Maybe someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest can tell us the story if cruise ships drop off tons of people in Seattle, but all of the cruises I've been on include a room!

Also JWs generally rent out 2 to 3 1/2 star hotels, which never go for $300 bucks. $140 for those kind of rooms seems on the high side as it is, but over a busier holiday weekend that wouldn't be completely unreasonable.

Just more JW propoganda clogging up the e-mail boxes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit