International Convention

by msconcerned 29 Replies latest jw friends

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Seafair weekend is August 1-3 this year. Phew!

• tiki
    tiki

Hotels aren't going to jump at the first order or request for a block of rooms at a discount - they barter.....they say no and play the game and the parties wanting to book the block have to be willing to be persistent. It may take several rounds for the deal to be sealed.

And - cruise ships?? Unless the cruise embarks from there and circles back, people on the ship stay in their state rooms on the ship - not in hotel rooms. Only pre and post-cruise packages include land accomodations and I can't quite wrap my head around that being such a big money-maker in Seattle. Miami, Fort Lauderdale, yes......but Seattle? Maybe Alaskan cruises......that's about all I can think of.

The security thing though is interesting - because big events require special scrutiny. You can't even take your own water bottles into some stadiums for ball games.....and they allow coolers - in fact demand them......easy in for a bomber actually. But then, kinda weird if a terrorist wanted to take out a bunch of sheeple.

Who knows, who knows...........may a good time be had by all.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Hotwire right now has 3 stars, SeaTac area, 69 bucks

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

This email has the same sort of silly bravado and revisionist feel that 'news' does in North Korea.

Our great leaders have defeated the evil worldly businessmen and snatched from them rental on a stadium!! They aggressively browbeat them until they got their lowest ever price on rooms!!

Praise the great leaders!!

• scotoma
    scotoma

Funny how Jehovah works. If this were Africa they would rent some rancher's pasture. With their amazing cooperation and experience with quick builds they should (with Jehovah's help) be able to throw together a tent city. They wouldn't even need liability insurance because the angels would make sure that their would be no mishaps. And with large screen monitors they could still make the experience great for everyone. They don't need no stinky stadiums. Supposedly Jehovah took care of around 2 million Jews wandering around Sinai for 4o years.

Maybe JW's don't have enough faith to endure the hardships their African brothers go through all the time.

And whatever happened to "rooming work". That's a concept that those of you who have been witnesses for less than 50 years won't understand.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Seafair is not just one weekend. The main weekend is not JULY 4th, but there are Seafair events that weekend and the 4th is a HUGE weekend in Seattle regardless. The lakes/water areas are overrun with families and traffic.

And yes. it is a port city for the cruise ships utilizing the Port of Seattle and the Seatac international airport. The cruise ship terminal is there and there are a lot of tourists staying there before/after cruises.

Any inexpensive hotels near the airport are about an hour+ away from the Stadium on a really good traffic day. Its not really convenient to visitors fromout of town. There are some options, but not a lot, probably. Any local knows it is an insane time to visit Seattle unless you have lots of money, lots of patience and lots of energy.

Good thing-if they have to bethere anyway, they will get great fireworks and it will be a fun weekend, even if you are stuck in a beating hot stadium all day. The bars and clubs will be crazy, lots of people looking to have fun, great restaurants (maybe a bite of seattle thing somewhere).

Visitors-go to Ivars and your kids will have fun the "The Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe" right on the Waterfront near the ferries and Ivars. Go on a ferry ride, too. It's gorgeous.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The vatican recently made a couple of ex-popes saints.

Huge turnout of people, media coverage all over the world.

I imagine it took quite some planning, logistically, and otherwise, yet it happened.

Hmm.. maybe the RCC has divine backing.

How is organising a venue and doing some deals with local hotels proof of anything, other than mediocre organisational skills.

Honestly, they could make farting sound miraculous.

"Oh,oh Brother Bugle Butt has'nt been able to pass wind for years, it's a miracle!"

• prologos
    prologos

There was a documentary on TV last night on the Indian religious feeding in their temples. It was reminiscent of early wt convention days, with stainless trays, cutlery being washed, set up again to feed thousands, or

the wt set-up in Yankee stadium annexes, with bakeries. the works,- in the wt past.

remembering the mess of the transportation department having to sort out kitchen equipment, cutlery stamped with overlapping Circuit numbers, sorting out to return to the different circuits that loaned it to the DC.

it appears the kingdom rule is past it's peak, the glory days of a quarter million attending, 6000 baptized are over.

the kingdom is centenial - celebrating with a wimper, not a bang.

only a new cash flow

to central.-- to show.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Sparrow Down stated it succinctly "Honestly, they could make farting sound miraculous."

That's the point. Religious people are always declaring "blessings in disguise".

I don't know who penned the prayer: "Please Lord for once give me a blessing that isn't in disguise"

Why doesn't the Watchtower quit violating the scripture that says "time and unforseen occurences befall all men"

The only time they use that scripture is when things go wrong.

When they go right they think that it is a special blessing.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I just happened to look at the lodging list posted on the information board at our KH today. There are no hotels in downtown Seattle on the list. None. Nada. Zip. The hotels are in Seatac (by the airport), Federal Way, Bothell, Kirkland, Everett, Bellevue and Kent, as I recall. But not a single one in Seattle. The most expensive rate on the list is $124 for a 4-person occupancy. Most rates fall between $79 and $105 per night. And these are for hotels that normally are perhaps a little more expensive than that. They probably gave a block-rate discount that they'd normally give to anyone who books a block of rooms. That's just normal hotel business. The hotels on the list do NOT go for $385 per night at any time of year. We're talking Holiday Inn, Mariott, Red Lion, and hotels like that. The Red Lion by the airport is currently going for $79.99 per night (just saw the sign a week ago). Their summer rate is likely a little higher, but not by too much. Just thought I'd provide an update based on official informaion on the official lodging list provided by the Society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit