If the historical Jesus was simply human, would YOU be a Christian ?

by EdenOne 26 Replies latest jw friends

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I've been reading a lot lately about the historical Jesus, and the latest archaeological findings and what a comparative, horizontal, reading of the 4 canonic gospels actually do tell us about the historical Jesus and his teachings. Pick your side, but let me ask you this, because that's the core question I have been asking myself lately:

If the historical Jesus wasn't the Son of God, but simply a human prophet with no previous super-human existence, hence, merely the "son of man", with very appealing teachings, but NO PREVIOUS SUPER-HUMAN EXISTENCE, hence, not "Son of God" as we commonly believe as JW's, WOULD YOU STILL BE A CHRISTIAN? And if so, on what grounds?

Eden

• designs
    designs

That's what the Jews expect.

• cofty
    cofty

If Jesus actaully said the things the gospels claimed he did, he was an egotistical, family-destroying, tinfoil-hat wearing, cult-leader.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

If the Jesus that is supposed to have existed said the things in the bible then yes, he had some form of mental disorder. I mean Imagine the guy on the corner we see holding signs saying that "the end is coming". We look at the guy like a lunatic and we hope he gets picked up by the police... that is who Jesus was, the guy standing on the corner with a sandwich board saying the end is near.

However I can garauntee that people would still follow him...

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Don't hold back Cofty, tell us what you really think.

• designs
    designs

Jewish Messiah- Rebuilds Jerusalem, brings peace on earth; Jesus- Destruction of Jerusalem, 1700 years of Christian led wars.

• Ucantnome
  • cantleave
    cantleave

Of course not, which is why I am not a Christian.

• LisaRose
  • pbrow
    pbrow

While not an exact quote Thomas Paine said in "Age of Reason" that jesus was the son of god in the same way we are all the "son of god"

No more or less divine than any of us are.

Age of Reason is an excellent logical explanation if any are still on the fence about the divinity of the "word of god"

pbrow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit