If the historical Jesus was simply human, would YOU be a Christian ?

by EdenOne 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

Jesus Christ is an urban legend. We don't even know if he actually existed. First suspicion is that he wrote nothing down. The idea that the Bible is the inerrant word of God can be shot down faster than one can blink.

There is a thematic commonality between Christianity and pre-existing beliefs. Ideas such as 'the Father', 'the light', 'the Truth', 'giver of life', 'virgin birth' and resurrection and eternal life align with the Egyptian God "Amon Ra" (or Amun Ra - refer to The Book of the Dead). Christianity has adopted as their holidays the pagan/Witch Sabbats that make up the Wheel of the Year.

Christianity is a re-packaging of previous beliefs with their own spin on 'God'. Once you know this... once you've seen the man behind the curtain, the magic is over. When I was little I was told to believe. Then I grew up and did some research. I no longer believe.

• designs
    designs

There is also the political angle to the Gospels. A "Jewish Messiah" who condemns Judaism but says nothing critical against the most oppressive dictatorship in the world...curious.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

They other thing I seemed to be learning is this Jesus seemed to be very self promoting. He's the one you should follow, follow me and have life, follow me and not die, and when he was pushed about taking over as king for the Jews he didn't deliver but instead said he would return. The more you read that's what I get. He even said he would return in thier life time, " this generation will not pass" "some of you standing here will not die before I return". One could easily read the gospels and say he was a false prophet. Also the apostles really did believe he would return soon, Paul spoke like it would happen and john said those that pierced him would see him return. There's 5 verses in the last chapter of revelations stating he would be back very soon and many bible scholars now think that book was written as early as 41 ce.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The search for the historical Jesus is a blind alley. The Christianity we follow today bears scant resemblance. Has Christianity changed over the years? Have we refined what it means to be "good"? I think so. Slavery is reprehensible today.

Does it matter that we have created an icon, a Jesus who never existed, all-loving, forgiving, inspiring us to shoot beyond our best?

• designs
    designs

Waiting for Godot....

• Patrick45
    Patrick45

I would have to become a Proselite then I guess, but the duty to fulfill an impossible to follow law would be the most discouraging thing imaginable.

• jam
    jam

Wikipedia list 32 Jesus starting from the 18th century up to

the 21st century. And what do they have in common, they

were all NUTS.

1) John Nichols Thom (1799-1838). A cornish Tax Rebel, claimed

to be the "saviour of the world" and the reincarnation of J.C.

He was killed by British soldiers.

2) W.W. Davies, leader of the Latter Day Saint schismatic group

called the Kingdom of Heaven. He was the Archangel Michael

(and yes he had followers) who had previously lived as the

Biblical Adam, Abraham and David. It gets better...When his son

was born, he declared that the infant was the reincarnated J.C.

When his second son was born, he was declared to be God the Father.

3) Yahweh ben Yahweh..Created the Nation Yahweh. His self-proclaimed

name means "God, son of God..His followers clearly deem him to God

incarnated. He was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder and

sentenced to 18 years in prison.

4) Then we have Jim Jones and David Koresh

To go around and claim you are the son of our creator is a dead

give away, there's a screw loose somewhere.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The He would have been born in sin and could not be anyone's Saviour.

• designs
    designs

The point of the messiah was to be a regular human living a righteous life per the Torah.

• jam
    jam

Holy crap Vanderhoven: So the sin nature passing down through the

father is BS. Eva was the one who sinned first. However, sin did not

enter the world through her. It entered through Adam.

Hell I didn't know we had a sin nature....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit