If the historical Jesus was simply human, would YOU be a Christian ?

by EdenOne 26 Replies latest jw friends

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Good point, VdH ... if Jesus wasn't of super-human origin, then how could his death mean "salvation" / atonement for anyone?

Eden

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

D: I believe Adam was a regular human being...created in God's unmarred image.

Jam: I beieve the standard teaching is that only the body came from Mary

Matthew 1:20 But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 "She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins."

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It is Jesus as the son of man that is the messianic claim. There are many sons of God in the Bible. I don't know b/c many other factors would come in to play. Maybe. I am reading Bart Ehrmann's lastest book about how Jesus became God. It is slow reading. The portion I've read so far is full of examples of diivine beings other than God. I don't know how his views are shared by other NT scholars.

There are many worthy sayings to follow if he were merely human. I suppose the first Jewish Christians did not equate him with God.

• never a jw
    never a jw

I am not a christian precisely because, at best, he was a good human. I don't think he was a great teacher. He got so many things wrong. "turn the other cheeK", you are poor, you are blessed" " forgive 77 times", "love your enemies", etc. etc. Don't take me wrong, I appreciate patience, forgivness, tolerance. I just have to put a limit before I look stupid and people walk all over me.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I'm thinking?

ermmm!!

the standard teaching is that only the body came from Mary

still thinking , umm! if the body came from Mary, and it developed as a standard human embryo, which as a default embryo is female unless the standard human thing happens to kill the development of the female organs and to initiate the development of male organs.

That 'standard human thing' is that the Y chromosone kicks in and starts producing hormones that stop the development of female organs, etc.

But if the body came from Mary only, where would the male Y chromosone come from?

• designs
    designs

God carries Y chromosones in his wallet.

• undercover witness
    undercover witness

I've gotta sign wot says:

'Lunatic here.'

Guess wot?  Got another one wot says:

'The end is coming.'

So when it does I can put down this sign and replace with one wot says

'Told Ya, didn't I?  But would you listen?  No you fekkin' wouldn't so don't come to me moaning now you've had yer tits blown orf.'

It might be slightly bigger though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit