Ladies - how often should you wash your hair??

by quellycatface 40 Replies latest jw friends

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I thought we needed a few beauty/hair tips on here, to break the seriousness.

I've cut my hair washing from every 2 days to every 4 days and this week, I've left it 7 days. It's been growing much better and is in great condition!

Any tips for growing your hair lush and lovely?

Thanks girls.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I think 2/3 times a week is about normal. Loads of girls round here use extentions to make their hair long. Kate xx

• Honeybadger
    Honeybadger

I'd suggest limiting the use of heat on it as much as possible (blow dryers, flat iron, curling iron, etc)

Also, remember that although hair is dead, keratinized cells, certain conditioners will smooth the hair out to make it appear healthier. Think of a road with potholes- if you fill the potholes in, it temporarily will create a smooth road surface. When the outer cuticle layer of your hair is damaged, a deep conditioner or protein conditioner can help fill in those hair potholes, so to speak, and give your hair a smoother finish.

I'd also suggest not brushing the hair when it's very wet, use a wide tooth comb to gently detangle. Hair stretches more when it's wet than when it's dry, and brushing when it's wet can stretch the hair too much, leading it to be more brittle and prone to breakage when it's dry again. Along those same lines, you should try to limit how much you wear your hair up or pulled back. Although hair has a silght elasticity, too much stress on it can cause breakage along the strand or, especially in tight braids or tightly slicked back styles (a gymnast's ponytail, for instance) the stress at the root can cause it to come out of the follicle more, especially along the hairline where the hair is more delicate.

I knew beauty school would come in handy at some point!

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Thanks Honeybadger, since my hairdresser told me to cut down washing it so frequently, I've really noticed the improvement.

Do you think they'd let us have a dedicated area for beauty/health and hair on jw.net??

As many of us feel a bit low in confidence, either in the Borg, or out.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

As a fashion magazine addict, I know the rules keep changing. When I was an early teen, they recommended once a week. Breck was the "in" shampoo. I wanted to look like a Breck magazine. I don't think this works for all people. My hair is baby fine and it would just limp without washing. When Vidal Sasson and shag hair cuts became popular in the sixties, there was no more hair setting but wash and wear. It saved a lot of time just as women entered the work force in large numbers. They recommended daily washing.

Time moves on. The daily washing dried out a lot of hair. Now they are recommending a few times a week. There is dry shampoo now. It is basically a fine powder that removes oil from the hair. It gives the hair more volume. The problem is that your scalp might itch.

I could write an article about how beauty advice changes every few years.

A weird fad was to put some greasy substance in your hair. I don't think it was popular with employers.

• Nowman
    Nowman

I have curly hair, washing it less (2 times a week for me) makes my curls look better. I too have noticed my hair more healthy, less dry. I have fine hair, but alot of it. I do use conditioner only everyday too, I leave a little in, helps with my curls too.

Basically, my curls like my hair dirty :) Note, if I had hair that was greasy by not washing it everyday, would be a different story. My hair does not like shampoo.

Nikki

• Bella15
    Bella15

My curls like my hair dirty too but I live in Houston and humidity is bad and not good for my wavy hair so I wash it once a week and straightened with a CHI flat iron during winter and twice a week during summer. If my hair feels greasy I put unscented baby powder (talc).

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I am not a lady, but my ex gf use this "shampoo" http://www.wen.com/ , it really looks good on her

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

Ever see a bald headed hobo/homeless person? Nope, everything in balance....Washing ones hair depends on what type of hair you have. Some folks have to wash their hair more often because it gets oily. Black people have to put oil in their & folks that have straight hair, have to wash it out. I say wash it when it begins to smell...

I believe it depends on ones hair type. Don't ask hairdressers, they make money, so they'll tell you to wash your hair once a week, & you must go to them because you need a conditioner treatment...Not so....our hair comes from our scalp..so it's how you eat & take care of yourself.

Legacy

• talesin
    talesin

Honeybadger

You know your stuff! Can't add much to that, except to use as little product as possible.

An inexpensive treatment for dry hair is to work some olive oil through it, and wrap with a warm towel. Wash afterwards.

I have near waist-length hair, and it's pretty healthy. I give it a good trim every 6-8 weeks to keep the split ends from ruining it.

BOTR

Didn't we all want to be Breck girls? Gosh, I remember those ads. Jaclyn Smith was a Breck girl.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit