There Was No First Human

by cofty 266 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Cofty, I was refering to the 10,000 years of the spiritual awakening of Homo Sapiens. Again according to mainstream scientists

• prologos
    prologos

did the book 'The seven daughters of Eve' shed light on this?

• cofty
    cofty

Justhuman - What "10,000 years of the spiritual awakening of Homo Sapiens" according to what "mainstream scientists" exactly?

• atrapado
    atrapado

I am sorry cofty I didn't see I was hijacking the thread thank you for pointing out my wrong ways how I could I become better. And I suck at sarcasm as well.

#1 I agree that we don't have a good or accepted definition of Homo sapien. Maybe I am to ignorant on the subject but I don't see why we couldn't arrive at one. If we claim we are clearly humans(in the video he makes this claim) and that his resent ancestors are clearly humans what makes them so clearly humans. Couldn't that criteria be used to test the rest of the ancestors.

#2 Again I might just be ignorant but I don't see why evolution cannot be applied to individuals as well.

• cofty
    cofty

I don't see why evolution cannot be applied to individuals as well

Evolution is the change in frequency of alleles in a gene pool.

I suck at sarcasm as well.

You really do

• Viviane
    Viviane

Viviane the test would be applied to all ancestors of every human living today and the ancestors of last X(10,000) years. Since you would test all you would find the first human not just A human.

Why? You would also have to test every single human alive today, and by the time you were done, there would be more people alive to test. And by the time you captured all the new humans, you would have more yet again. And you are completely ignoring the scenario I proposed.

Thought experiments still have to be practical and account for various scenarios, such as, what if you find 1K humans from the same time period of 30K years ago that every modern human could mate with, you still have a population!

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

1. Settling Down: Dead Ends and Transitions

Between 8000 B.C.E. and 5000 B.C.E., some hunting-gathering groups developed more intensive techniques that permitted them to establish more sedentary settlements. In what is now central Russia, for example, groups were able to hunt wooly mammoths and supplement meat supplies with intensive gathering. The establishment of sedentary communities allowed intensive hunting and gathering groups to establish social stratification and commerce with other similar groups. An even more specialized society associated with the Natufian complex of the Middle East depended on the intensive gathering of wild grasses, primarily barley and wheat. Natufian society was stratified and probably matrilocal and matrilineal. Despite the development of intensive gathering and sophisticated storage of grains, Natufian society did not create any technological innovations. The dependence of Natufian society on regional grasses left them vulnerable to changes in the climate. Due to desiccation of the region, Natufian communities disappeared around 9000 B.C.E.

2. A Precarious Existence

Whether grouped in small bands of nomadic hunters and gatherers or more densely clustered in intensive hunting and gathering groups, life for all Homo sapiens remained precarious. With limited technology and a vulnerablity to alterations in the migratory patterns of prey or climatic alterations that created changes in the ecosystems on which they depended, all human communities experienced the constant threat of extinction.

1. Agriculture and the Origins of Civilization: The Neolithic Revolution

1. Introduction

Beginning around 8000 B.C.E., many human cultures became increasingly dependent on cultivated crops and domesticated animals to secure their supply of food. By 7000 B.C.E. sedentary agriculture was able to support towns with populations of more than 1,000, such as Jericho and Çatal Hüyük. By 3500 B.C.E., the first civilizations appeared in the Middle East. While no one knows for certain what conditions caused the shift from hunting and gathering to sedentary agriculture, changes in the climate may have been significant factors. It is also probable that increases in human population prompted changes in food production.

2. The Domestication of Plants and Animals

The first plants domesticated were the wild grains - barley and wheat - that were common in many regions of the Middle East. The transition from hunting and gathering to agriculture took place slowly. Only as additional crops were added to the agricultural system did societies diminish efforts to hunt and gather. Early agriculturalists may have continued a seminomadic lifestyle. At approximately the same time as the domestication of wild grains, agricultural societies also began to domesticate animals. Dogs, sheep, goats, and pigs were among the first animals domesticated around 8500 B.C.E. Cattle, more aggressive and faster than the other animals, were added to the agricultural system around 6500 B.C.E. Domesticated animals improved the supplies of available protein, provided hides and wool for clothing materials, and increased the manuring of agricultural land.

3. The Spread of the Neolithic Revolution

The greater effort expended in agricultural systems made the shift to sedentary communities impractical for many groups. Hunting and gathering societies and agricultural communities continued to coexist. Some groups practiced pastoralism, based on the dependence on domesticated animals. Pastoral societies often thrive in semiarid regions incapable of supporting large populations of farmers. Pastoral societies were often strongly militarized. During the period of the Neolithic revolution (8000 B.C.E. to 5000 B.C.E.), agricultural techniques of production spread from the Middle East to other areas of the globe where the climate permitted. The cultivation of wheat and barley expanded from the Middle East to India and Europe. From Egypt the cultivation of grain crops spread southward along the Nile. Africa south of the Sahara desert developed an independent agricultural system around 2000 B.C.E. based on root and tree crops. In China, Neolithic agricultural societies developed a separate system of crops based on millet. Somewhat later, farmers of Southeast Asia began to cultivate rice. American agricultural systems featured maize, manioc, and sweet potatoes.

• cofty
    cofty

Species are a bell curve of natural variation.

In any particular generation there is more variation within a species than between that generation and previous ones.

• Viviane
    Viviane

#2 Again I might just be ignorant but I don't see why evolution cannot be applied to individuals as well.

Because that's not what evolution is.

If we claim we are clearly humans(in the video he makes this claim) and that his resent ancestors are clearly humans what makes them so clearly humans. Couldn't that criteria be used to test the rest of the ancestors.

"Clearly human" is not a testable criteria and there is no way to test every ancestor from 30K years ago.

• cofty
    cofty

Justhuman - Nothing you posted above has anything to do with biological evolution which is the topic under discussion.

Cultural progress is an entirely different subject.

What was your source by the way?

ETA - It's OK I found it under the heading "Advancements and Developments in Agriculture"...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit