An important difference between atheists and true believers

by Hortensia 219 Replies latest social current

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I just said what I believe on the previous page, but don't mind me

• Viviane
    Viviane

I didn't see that, Apog. I just went back and read it. I did notice in your comments that you wrote "Similarly, AGuest never got more than a little sassy with others for the abuse she received.". I've been reading this forum for years, she was a pretty nasty person and more than once said Jesus told her someone was going to die.

Anyway, this isn't about her. I just learned this morning that radicchio and chickory are related. Never knew that.

• cofty
    cofty

That's a lie. or you have memory loss - Talesin

Show how it is.

Carry on, Elder Cofty.

Disgraceful insult considering what it cost me and others to get out the cult. I suspected your previous apology for this sort of behaviour wouldn't last.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I just went back and read it. I did notice in your comments that you wrote "Similarly, AGuest never got more than a little sassy with others for the abuse she received.". I've been reading this forum for years, she was a pretty nasty person and more than once said Jesus told her someone was going to die.

Hrm. Perhaps I haven't seen enough of her posting history. I didn't read the board before I joined in 2012, but she had seemed pretty harmless in my (limited) experience.

• cofty
    cofty

She was pure vitriol.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Talesin, that comment dissapointed me... elder cofty.....?

I assume you are here because you fell foul to JW entrapment and lies also. What on earth did you mean by that insult, because it applies to us all here. If you were never a JW but a loved one was, you just undermined all the pain and suffering they went through, that all of us went through.

Shame on you for saying that, really.

This thread needs to end. Assuming anything about a religious person or an athiest is ignorant. Pretending both sides don't home awkward personalities is a lie. What else is there to say...

MOVE ON... thread done!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The first, second, third, fourth and fifth complaints on this thread were by BoTR, Apog and FHN. I have no idea what Apog believes, nor talesin.

Observations, my dear. Oberservations.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This forum keeps changing its character. When I first posted, I ran into A Guest, who heard voices from God. She basically believed the Witness teachings, bolstered by ancient Israelite touches. She was provocative. No matter how disruptive or insulting, she held sway. Now we have altered course where atheists are bossing people around.

Former Witnesses certainly are bossy. Most people don't want a human savior. I don't. If atheists keep up the strident tone, you will have t turn on each other.

I never saw common cause with A Guest's group. Hardly. There is a viciousness concerning belief. If atheism is so pure, you don't need the viciousness. My father had to spend hours defeating every Roman Catholic at work. He did not convert one person. You will not convert me. This forum can be so bitter.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Well, the forum will always be changing and there will always be provocateurs, here and elsewhere.

I don't think having a strong opinion is bossing someone around. One can always "change the channel", choose to disengage, agree to disagree, let it go. Do people on TV boss you around? People only have power over you if you let them have it.

AGuest was a character that's for sure. I laugh to myself when I think of some of the "debates" I had with her. The guy who praised Jebus in McDonalds because he fed a homeless guy who was barred from the restaurant really stands out. The Lord didn't reach down and hand the guy a BigMac FFS. And here I am arguing with a crazy person on the interwebs about it. Who gives a shit? LMAO

Like many things, what you see is often a reflection of yourself in some way and it's always easy to see what you don't like.

True believers, whether christian, muslim or whatever, want to convert you, they want you to believe what they do, and they're willing to go to extremes to make it happen. Atheists don't really care what you believe, and don't go out of their way to convert someone.

Well, not sure if I agree with that; some believers aren't out to convert you; somebody has to be the infidel, the opposition, that which props up their beliefs, someone to judge themselves in comparison to. The psychologist I saw years ago (may he RIP) observed that the JW belief works as long as there's a "world" to see themselves as no part of. It would never work without a bogeyman. And the more popular a belief gets, the more likely it would have a schism and fragment. People have their own ideas and we are still tribal to a large extent; human nature. But by and large, most religious people aren't out to convert you, unless they're evangelical, by definition. Of all the people you meet in day to day life, most are religious and of these, how many try to convert you?

As for atheists not caring what you believe, I think by and large that's true but most people don't care what you believe anyways so why differentiate?

That being said, there are atheists who try to convert people to their way of thinking, but these are a minority IMO

• DJS
    DJS

BOTR,

Ive only been on this site for about 11 months or so. I realized within a few months that it wasn't really for me, as 90% of the OPs are theist and very JW specific, both of which nauseate me. Ive been out of the Borg 20 years and spent it living life; to be dragged back into Borgland is something I have no desire to do. Having said that, the only rational, factual discussions I typically read on this board are driven by the atheists amongst us.

The theist posts can be touchly lovely group huggy, since it's essentially everyone's opinion (which is why the preachers with 'special knowledge' on this site disgust me). When the topic changes to science, technical issues or simply about non-theist topics, the 'bar' for posting becomes much, much higher. Anyone bringing their 'feelings' or 'beliefs' or what they 'think' or the one dimensional 'knowledge' (all of which are absolutely freaking wonderful in theist conversations) to serious discussions will be nuked by those of us trained to expect facts and the support of those facts to a debate.

That essentially is the root cause analysis of the 'strife' on this site. People who pine for a purple dinosaur group hug for every OP - or who expect their irrational, reactionary, intellectually shallow or non-existent opinions to be respected on non-theist posts - are delusional. They continually get upset by the 'tone' when, if one very closely analyzes the root cause, is not so much the tone as they will never, ever, ever (credit to Taylor Swift) win any of these arguments. That, IMHO and based on a rational 11 month observation of the 'problem', is the real root cause.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit