An important difference between atheists and true believers

by Hortensia 219 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

No one is allowed to think unless Cofty approves it. - BOTR

Hysterical nonsense.

Nobody gets to makes superstitious assertions and pretend they are truths without being challenged.

Did you learn nothing from being in a cult?

If Adamah were still here, I would also mention his name.

Me too, he was a pain in the arse.

What wild accusations?

I did not come here to have some idiot...

He strikes me as no intellect...

Why flee the WT to have Cofty ruin your life...

the scum of the earth according to certain atheists...

If you have been drinking step away from the keyboard. If not - have a drink and chill out FFS!

• Viviane
    Viviane

Temper tantrum time. No one is allowed to think unless Cofty approves it. You prove that atheists can have screws loose.

It is maniacal. Yes, I am a lawyer. No, I will not be a quiet fool.

You are being a loud fool. You can't or won't provide an example of what you are talking about and are using ridiculous hyperbole. I have trouble believing someone that can't seem to put together a coherent argument is a well respected lawyer as you claim.

As you wrote, this is not normal behavior.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It seems to me that many threads about science or atheism turn into attacks on cofty. There's nothing wrong with cofty -- he's intelligent and well-read. He articulates his position well and he doesn't back down when he's abused, as he often is on this forum.

If he can take the heat, why can't all of you who are complaining about him?

It's funny; I started the thread and cofty gets called names.

I did make a generalization based on personal experience; I get that. Not all religious people are evangelical, and some atheists are evangelical. But how did it become christians vs. cofty? It's interesting to me that I'm probably one of the more obnoxious atheists around here with some true contempt for religion, but I don't get attacked like cofty. I think that's because he's much more articulate and really hits the nail on the head, which makes people nervous and upset because they don't have any answer to what he says.

Oh well, carry on!

• DJS
    DJS

Hortensia, No you aren't an obnoxious atheist. I'm an obnoxious atheist!!! I agree; Cofty makes himself a lightning rod. He seems to thrive on it. I can read and re-read the posts where theists go off on him and for the life of me can't usually understand why. He and Viviane have a unique ability to stay on target in an argument with a BS laser pointed directly at BS arguments. I think that probably irritates a lot of irrational people. I simpy back away from the fray when I see that the counter argument is irrational and the counter arguer is entrenched. But I do occasionallly call them chimps. All apologies. To the chimps.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

An important similarity between atheists and true believers if that there very nice people in both camps,

in spite of their opposing differences in ideologies.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I used to cringe at some of the things Cofty posted, they seemed mean, and I saw no need to be that way. Now I think he is like the parent who gives you tough love, it stings a bit but I believe he posts out of concern for others, his motives are in the right place in my opinion. His words may bite, but he doesn't that I know of. I have also seen believers post some very hateful things, so that street goes both ways. I think that sometimes believers are offended as much by the fact that there is truth in what he says as by the tone, his arguments are spot on. Instead off being offended and starting a flame war, why not set aside your hurt feelings and think about what he has to say. Think about it a while before you respond, if you do respond. Feel free to ignore the comments altogether, but why not continue the discussion and see if you learn anything? The bible says to keep testing your faith, so why don't you?

I dislike a certain comic strip in my daily paper, It's by a right wing conservative, it used to be OK until Obama got elected then it turned into hateful, mean spirited and not funny. People wrote letters to the editor and threatened to cancel their subscription, I just stopped reading it, Problem solved. There is absolutely no reason you have to respond to any poster. If you want your faith strengthened, go to church. If you come here for support, stick to the non controversial threads. If you choose to post on Athiest/believer threads, you will be challenged. It's a discussion board on religion.

• DJS
    DJS

LR and Fink,

Excellent comments. Thanks.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Welp, I didn't find any threads about faith being hijacked within the last 20 pages of topics (p. 11125-11144), and that's about the limits of my commitment to this debate, because I really need to be getting back to other stuff. I did find this thread through a search for "moral monster" which I think demonstrates a less than tactful attitude on cofty's part: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/251615/1/Anyone-can-be-saved . I believe these are the sorts of statements that raise hackles unnecessarily.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Hortensia,

I was going to point out that your opening sentence is a falsehood. Some atheists declare that believers believe utrageus things.. Let me assure that my character is fine. Cofty is no gentleman. This battles just goes on and on. It is tiring and boring. Rather than convert people, you push readers away. It reminds me of Sartre's No Exit. Yes, a believer knows French existentialism. Cofty became a bully somewhere.

Why can't there be a truce? Every argument has already been made. No one has the right to demean me. We are demeaned frequently. A true scientist would not be so rude.

• Viviane
    Viviane

So calling God a moral monster is less tactful that being told you'll be tortured for all eternity, as was done on that very thread on the third post?

"The most important decision you'll ever make (and everyone must make the same decision) is whether or not to believe the Gospel (Good News) of the Lord Jesus Christ. It's the only way to escape the torments and fires of Hell for all eternity."

So calling God a monster is worse than being told you'll be tortured forever? It sounds like the issue now is atheists are being nicer than some Christians.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit