FORGIVENESS ... You owe it to your health

by ABibleStudent 75 Replies latest social physical

• twice shy
    twice shy

@lisabObessa- I really enjoyed your quote by Braut and your reference to love that King showed and taught others to show oppressers.

And while I'm quiet and forgiving; People are quick to see the strength GOD has bestowed me through my long-suffering and endurance. They see there is nothing weak about my kindness.

It takes more energy to be angry than it does to watch them wear themselves out with their anger.

@Abiblestudent - Great post. It was quite therapeutic, yet it's clear some of us may be a bit bitter and harboring some resentment. I know at times I can see a bit of mines in some posts on topics I am passionate about.

Can't we all just get along?

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

lisaBObeesa -

Did you read all that you just pasted? So you quote Martin Luther King, Jr. as if that's supposed to shut me up? Is that your appeal to authority (logical fallacy)? Problem is, I don't consider MLK to be an authority.

I wasn't even posting to you. I was just adding something to the thread about forgiveness. I PERSONALLY felt the MLK sermon on forgivness was really powerful and I identified with the things he said. That is why I posted it here in this thread.

So...peace, bother. I don't want you to shut up. I don't even think you are wrong. You are speaking your truth and your truth is your truth, period. I hope you never 'shut up.'

"First, we must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive."

Why, MLK, because you say so? Who the hell are you to tell me I must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive? Are you smarter than I am? I doubt it. Do you have more insight than I do? I doubt it.

Again, the post was not directed at you. I was just adding what I thought were some very wise words about forgiveness to this thread.

If you don't want to forgive, don't forgive.

I understand where you are coming from. There are pleanty of people on this board and in this thread that feel the same as you. Life is complicated and different for everybody...We are all just doing what we think is right, the best we can. What is right for one perosn is not always right for another person.

lisaBObeesa - do you really think the "barrier to the relationship" between JWs and those who doubt/question/challenge them will ever break down? Do you really think that our forgiving the org/JWs will be a "catalyst creating the atmosphere necessary for a fresh start and a new beginning". What a load of kumbaya BS! The only way you will ever get a fresh start and new beginning with JWs would be to kiss their asses, bow to their super Jedi Knight GB, and hang your head in shame and admit how stupid you've been not to have seen all their wonderful light. You would start off "fresh" all right - right at the bottom. If you're a brother, you might get to carry a microphone after a year or so.

Well, if you really want to know what I think, I'll tell you.

I think that "forgiving the org" is not something that is possible. I can see forgiving a person or people, but an organization is not a person. To me, forgiving an organization is like forgiving a rock or a tree. It makes no sense to me.

I've had a really hard time forgiving my JW sister who, in my eyes, destroyed our family with her terrible JW shunning of our mother. For the last 17 years or so (i've said 20 years before, but really it's more like 17...) ...for 17 years I've been in the "how can I forgive/ I don't think I should forgive/ I can't forgive because she keeps hurting us all" camp. I was in that camp because that is where I was at the time and there was really nothing I could do to move out of that camp. But I was always turning it over in my mind, trying to not forgive, but to make peace with it, trying to move on from it, trying to stop being angry about it and just accept it. After all, it's been 17 years! That's almost two decades of being really, really angry. But the anger would never leave. It just stayed.

But three weeks ago, after 17 years of this, I found that I could 'accept the apology that she will never give me.' And finally, I can let it all go. Finally I can accept the situation and move on.

I find it to be a great relief. I also feel real love towards her again, something that had been burried under layers of pain and anger.

And now, maybe one day, my sister and I can speak again. Because at least on my side now I'm open to it. Before, I was not.

This is what I have expereinced. This might not be possible or even the right thing to do for someone else. This is just something that I have gone through very recently so it is kind of a big deal for me right now, and I guess that is why I was so moved to post on this thread...

"Third, we must not seek to defeat or humiliate the enemy but to win his friendship and understanding."-MLK

OK, again, I don't answer to MLK; he's not my authority. He doesn't tell me what to do just as JWs don't. But just to analyze what he said... "we must not seek to defeat the enemy" - what??? Why not?

The person I needed to forgive was my JW sister. I did not and do not want to defeat or humiliate her. I DID want to change her behavior. I DID want to change her mind. I DID want to convince her she was wrong and I was right. But I didn't want to 'defeat' her.

I would like to 'defeat' the Organization, but to me, that has nothing to do with the topic of forgiveness, since as I said before, I don't think you can ''forgive' things, only people. I don't want to defeat the people in the org, either. I want to win them over and help them out of the trap that is the Org.

The Org is a thing, a trap. It's not alive. I can't kill it or kick its butt or hurt it or defeat it, as much as I would like to. I can only try to help people out of it. That's how I see it, anyway.

LisaB - Do you really think you're going to win the friendship and understanding of the org by forgiving it? You only win its friendship if you serve it and slave for it and sacrifice for it and worship it.

No, I don't. I don't think it is possible to have the 'friendship and understanding' of a thing. Even if I could, I don't want and NEVER wanted the friendship and understanding of the org.

Plus, the motivation to forgive my sister was not to 'win her friendship and understanding,' either. The motivation to forgive her was to heal and move on and to be able to open my heart to her again should the opportunity ever again arise. And if one day that opportunity does arise, then my having forgiven her will indeed be the "catalyst creating the atmosphere necessary for a fresh start and a new beginning".

I've shared these things as personal experience and I am not telling you or anyone else what to do.

Each person's situation is individual and unique...

-Lisa

• cha ching
    cha ching

Exactly, BandontheRun!

I too feel that anger and action has a place in finding justice.

I hated the articles by the Society regarding forgiveness....as I view them as a machine that spews information to the masses to further their cause.

"We told you not to take blood fractions and your mom died?" Forgive us.

"We didn't change the policy on child abuse? We didn't tell you to report to the police? Another child got molested?" Forgive us.

"Some brother stole your money? He didn't say sorry? didn't return it? The elders say forgive him? Get PTSD?" Forgive us.

"Send your money for K Halls, even when they are paid for, spend your time building Assembly halls, pay for the CO visit, pay for this, then that, give us your money in a will... No retirement? No Social Security? Oh, we were wrong about our 'prophecies' " Forgive us.

"Don't go to college, before you graduate, or can use what you have learned, it will be paradise" OOooops, forgive us.

"You won't get old in this system of things, the new order will be here before the end of the 20th century" Oops, forgive us.

It is like letting an alcoholic parent/ spouse get drunk, beat you up, and do nothing but "forgive".... The story continues, never changes.

Get angry, call the police, put them in jail, move out, move on... now the story changes.

Cha Ching! Cha Ching! u aint getting none of my bling!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

A Bible Student:

Your post is very good. I agree with the part "moving beyond feeling aggravated and angry". No sense making yourself sick. However, I am in agreement with the following posters:

Laika and Millie: Yes, how does one "forgive" in the midst of injustice?

Xanthippe: I do agree that the word "forgiveness" has a religious tone to it. I agree with "moving on". Less religious.

Magnum: I totally agree with you that Jah only forgives the repentant. JWs are certainly not repentant and have gotten worse and more damaging and arrogant as time goes on. THEY NEED TO BE SERIOUSLY EXPOSED.

Also, an ex-JW said to me that I should "forgive myself" for joining the religion. Well, I'm not the one who needs forgiving.

This topic of "forgiveness" is very personal and there is no "one size fits all" solution. In some instances, depending on an ex-JWs emotional well-being, memories of the JW religion should be forgotten at least until some future point that they can examine it objectively without going into a depression.

Also, certain ex-JWs have to get over their contempt towards those JWs who still feel the need to talk about their bad experiences in the religion. These ex-JWs seem to have an attitude of "I'm more over it than you are"..... Unfortunately, among ex-JWs, the topic of the Jehovah's Witness religion will always be the white elephant in the room, no matter how "over" it they claim to be.

• Willow76
    Willow76

I feel very deeply about this subject as we all do, for the reason that what the JWs did has been the best lesson I could possibly imagine in forgiveness and personal spiritual growth.

I don't think I'm a 'goody goody' ... It took me 6 years and thousands of dollars of therapy to get to this stage. I used to rage in hatred at them and what I felt were direct consequences ... Ie dropping out of school to pioneer, marrying at 19 and staying with a man I disliked for 10 years, missing out on uni, travel, dating... So called Normal things.

Yet now I feel that they gave me a gift. And I thank them for my formative years. It shaped me into who I am. I would not be this person without those experiences, I feel I have a depth that I might not have achieved living the normal shallow life.

The strength needed to leave that cult showed me that I had enormous unknown inner strength. Thank you cult for allowing me to discover that strength for when i next need it i need not be so terrified.

It taught me that I don't need a fancy education and hard work for money to come to me... Another false belief by another false system to keep you enslaved. (I am 37 and just retired living on a small rental income in the Sacred Valley in Peru, I need not work again but am considering helping out a successful cancer clinic nearby)

It taught me to question EVERYTHING From every 'authority'. To use my reasoning mind instead of just gobbling up as truth what different institutions dish out as 'fact' that lands on tv, in the paper or on the radio. Thank you cult for showing me the importance of questioning every authority.

there is duality in every situation, if you can look outside the box at the gifts you now have as a result of JWs being part of your experience it will help you heal.

you cannot change your past, or the people still trapped in that institution. You can only work on yourself in the present. Anger is a natural human expression at perceived injustices, it is not wrong and shouldn't be judged. But forgiveness is divine, it creates space and peace in your heart and head... It leads to lightness, happiness, even bliss. Don't underestimate how incredible you'll feel when you eventually not only forgive, but realise there was nothing TO forgive. It was perfect as it was.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Magnum...

I advocate a balance of TRUTH and LOVE as a means of reaching FORGIVENESS. Jesus spoke the truth of God and that truth wasn't received as kumbaya. It was divisive. Jesus spoke the truth because He loved people and He desired to save them from sin that is the result of following after forces who had swayed the world contrary to the real and abiding love (which isn't fickle as dependant on the desires of men). To forgive people who hurt you requires a heart 'like' God, imo.

people respond to a gentle spirit that speaks truth, love and forgiveness. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks so, be "angry" but do not sin.

love michelle

• twice shy
    twice shy

Long Hair Gal - Unfortunately, among ex-JWs, the topic of the Jehovah's Witness religion will always be the white elephant in the room, no matter how "over" it they claim to be.

You totally nailed that part. Being a JW was a scarlet letter and being an ex jw most often than not is too.

@Willow76 - Well said. So very well stated. Would be so nice if the society stepped up and absorbed the cost of your therapy. It is clear they were coupable and should accept the part they played in it. Would that not be the right thing for them to do?

They cause more depression then people could imagine. Keep being well and don't let anyone still your joy.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Being angry at injustice is a feeling that should be encouraged.

Some things can never be forgiven.........Band on the Run

.........................Justice has been Served..

........................... photo 375759811_d6587ecc1227567671.gif

..................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The major differences between you and me, is that I chose to control my actions,

to listen to others before reacting, and to search for "Win-Win".....ABibleStudent

The major difference between You and almost Everyone Here is..

You`ve Never been a JW.

Your constantly Giving Advice about Something you have Absolutely No Grasp Of..

You Pretend to Know things,You Don`t..About us..

After a while,it gets pretty Friggin Annoying..

....................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

OUTLAW - Wrong

The major difference between You and almost Everyone here is..

You`ve Never been a JW.

Your constantly Giving Advice about Something you have Absolutely No Grasp Of..

You Pretend to Know things,You Don`t..About us..

After a while,it gets pretty Friggin Annoying..

Hi OUTLAW, You are right that I was never a JW and I cannot fully comprehend what the WTBTS's BITE control has done to JWs. However that does not mean that I was not adversely affected by the WTBTS. In 2010 I felt intense emotional pain because of the WTBTS's undue influence over someone who I loved and I believe that she loved me at that time. I have since moved on from my feelings of hurt and anger to hopefully help others to critically think for themselves and not be victimized by the WTBTS and other dangerous cults like the WTBTS.

How does having different experiences from a JW make my opinions less helpful than yours? Is it wrong to offer a different perspective than yours? You wrote "Your constantly Giving Advice about Something you have Absolutely No Grasp Of..", can you be more specific what you feel is wrong with advice that I give? Is it wrong to welcome new members with advice to make their own plans about fading from the WTBTS, independently researching the WTBTS by visiting reputable websites, to offer suggestions that other members do not make that may be helpful to someone, and to recommend that people read information from exit-cult counselors like Steve Hassan? Steve Hassan wasn't a JW either, but I do feel that he has very valid advice for helping exJWs/JWs to heal and to communicate better with JWs.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love (or Regards, if wishing you peace sounds too offensive to you),

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit