Is it kind of funny that JWs don't give Jesus resurrection day any notice?

by Comatose 37 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

(Ecclesiastes 7:1) 7 A name is better than good oil, and the day of death than the day of one’s being born.

The WTS likes to use this scripture to explain why they don't celebrate Jesus' birth. They believe that day of Jesus death is more important than his resurrection or birth and that Christians were not commanded to celebrate his resurrection.

*** w68 7/15 p. 434 par. 12 Drawing Comfort from the Scriptures ***

Solomon once observed: “A name is better than good oil, and the day of death than the day of one’s being born.” (Eccl. 7:1) That is true if a person has a good name with God at death, built up due to godly works, for then he is in line for a resurrection.

*** w57 4/1 p. 195 What Is Easter All About? ***

Yes, Jesus told his followers to remember his death, which occurred on Nisan 14, A.D. 33. His followers were to celebrate his death by keeping the Lord’s evening meal each year at that date. “Keep doing this,” said Jesus, “in remembrance of me.” (1 Cor. 11:24, NW) What about his resurrection on Nisan 16, A.D. 33? Jesus gave no command to celebrate it. Nor did the apostles who talked with the resurrected Christ give any command to celebrate his resurrection. His death was the only event to be memorialized by a Christian feast.

Yet then the WTS says this:

*** w69 12/15 p. 768 Announcements ***

during April, with 1,322,000 reporting ministerial activity, over 2,719,000 attended the celebration of the Memorial of Jesus’ death and resurrection!

• SAHS
    SAHS

“Xanthippe”: “I think the reason they focus on his horrific death is so they can say Jesus suffered so much, what are you going to do for him. Which translated means how much are you going to slave for our publishing company.”

You hit the nail right in the head, Xanthippe! Focusing on the resurrection of Jesus Christ would detract from the veneration which the WTS is really after for themselves. And from a psychological view, you can see how the WTS is so dead against celebrating one’s birthday.

Perhaps the way the WTS will want everyone to celebrate Jesus’ birthday will be to come out with a set of chocolate Governing Body members. That way, ALL of us could partake of the Brooklyn Eucharist.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I know, how weird??

I can't wait until tomorrow at my church. My very first Easter celebration in a Christian church. Brilliant.

I am also getting baptised. I'm truly honoured sharing this day with Jesus's resurrection.

I'm so happy I left the WTBS.

• prologos
    prologos

emeth, right! he [Jesus] would not have died of old age, he would be ALIVE TODAY, and that would have made the "talking snake story" believable by PROOF.

The most eligible batchelor, just a smidden over 2013 years old, unshaven, looking like a 24 year old.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

exwhyzee said

If people had simply ignored Jesus and allowed him to carry on, he'd have died of old age and nothing would have been accomplished.

EMETH: the point is he would not have died of old age

Why not ? He was once a baby and aged to the point of adulthood, who knows how old he would have gotten if he hadn't been killed. He was a human but didn't have evelasting life as such. If he hadn't been killed, he'd have had to return to heaven somehow to begin his rulership.

Everyone focuses on how appaling it is that wicked humans put Jesus to death, but it had to happen in order to buy back the life Adam and Eve lost for us....right?

• prologos
    prologos

XWZ:-- aging is not the same as growing up. Methuselah grew UP, but took a long time DOWNHILLto age;-- and he was imperfect. to prove his 'second ADAM' pefection, Jesus, with all that angelic backing should have PROVEN it by at least out-lasting methuselah.

Then the Memorial - death/resurrection- easter story would not have been as fantastic as the

Easter-bunny that lays and hides the Easter eggs.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

XWZ:-- aging is not the same as growing up.

I wasn't implying that aging was the same as growing up. I was only pointing out that as JW's we never talked about how old Jesus would have gotten if he hadn't been killed or how he would have gotten back to heaven to fulfill his duties or how he'd have been unable to buy back the everlasting life Adam and Eve lost for us if he hadn't died a sacraficial death. We only focused on how great God was for sending him here to die and how terrible it was that wicked humans killed him even though it was supposed to happen that way.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

The relationship the Watchtower has with Jesus Christ makes me suspect the

Governing Body are actually Atheists , seriously, they demote Jesus to "angel" status.??

They don't seem to understand the significance of the resurrection, they won't let

the rank and file majority of witnesses even partake of wine (his bood) or the bread

(his flesh) to symbolize oneness with him and oneness with each other in a single

spiritual body. The body of Christ, which is all over the Greek Scriptures and obviously

an open invitation to all, by Grace, not by "aspiring" to a separate "hope".

Its very sinister, when you think about it. If you believe in superior beings both

good and bad, then this "organization" has got to be led by the bad guys, both physical

in our particular dimension and invisible in some other dimension. Yes there are other

dimensions, and you can also be in more than one place simultaneiously, thats Physics.

And before the Athesist here go off on me as a complete lunatic, try looking into

some other science besides Darwin; and Biology or Geology; like Physics.

Its determined by scientists all over the world, using the most sophisticated instruments,

best minds and latest science, that we can only detect 4% of what actually exists

in this universe and the greater cosmos beyond our universe.

Dark Matter and Dark Energy, (meaning 'dark' as in we can't see it)

meaning some forces and matter that are influencing all our matter, objects,

that makes its existance know but no-one knows what it is, no-one,

this Energy and Matter makes up 96% of all the universe, so we are

talking at all times about 4% of what actually exists. 96% of all matter and energy

is a complete unknown. So no-one can "prove" anything happened or did not happen.

• emeth
    emeth

@exwhyzee Jehovah's Witnesses do talk/write about that... Jesus would have lived forever

• cantleave
    cantleave

and you can also be in more than one place simultaneiously, thats Physics.

If you are wave, or sub-atomic particle.

VG you do spout a lot of crap.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit