Why did God test Abraham?

by jws 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BU2B
    BU2B

My question to JW and believing parents is this. If you hear a voice in your head say to drown your child in the bathtub, and you think it is Jehovah talking, will you do it? Abraham would and he is an example of loyalty for today.. Would you reason, "there is a ressurection, plus God can bless me with more children like Job if I am loyal?"

Lastly, how can you look down your nose at the mother who drove her mini-van into the ocean? Or any parent who hears voices and attempts to sacrifice their child? They claimed to hear voices, just like Abraham. We know Jehovah never changes and he is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, so how do we know Jehovah wasnt talking to these parents too?

• Comatose
    Comatose

Oh so god was tricked into it by Satan? Then satan is smarter and I choose him.

• snowbird
    snowbird

God allowed Abraham to be tested to show Satan that Satan didn't know what he was talking about when Satan accused Abraham of only serving God because of what Abraham got out of it.

Again, don't ask me why God puts up with Satan.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"

Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"

God say, "No." Abe say, "What ?"

God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but

The next time you see me comin' you better run"

Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done ?"

God says "Out on Highway 61"

• Comatose
    Comatose

You are confusing Abraham and Job. God tested Abraham on his own. jeez...

• snowbird
    snowbird

I am not confusing the two.

The info I'm presenting is from the "fairy tale" (your words) book called Jasher,

Sheesh!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Why did God test Abraham?

God suffers from insecurity anxiety and has problems with self asteem. So testing Abraham proved to God's fragile nature that this guy will even kill his son if you whisper in his ear to do so and identify the voice as from a supreme being.

Also there is this issue about how Sara all of a sudden has a child after 90 years of being a barren woman, this may have caused Abe to wonder about who has been kicking in his stall when he was away on a business trip up in the mountains of Jehober.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

The reason God tested Abraham was to show us what not to do.

Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord
    your God to the test.'"

It was a common belief at the time that the gods wanted child sacrifices,

by having their god intervene the story showed the Jews that their god didn't approve of this act and they weren't to follow that ritual.

God also sacrificed his son to show us what not to do.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Oh... So the info god didn't think important to include that some dope wrote a couple hundred years ago. Makes sense now!

• Aroq
    Aroq

Here is my take, you can take it or leave it.

God was not testing Abraham for His own sake. God was testing Abraham for Abraham's sake. This was to build the faith within Abraham. God knows before hand everything. Why could God make this promise to Abraham if He would know that Abraham's faith was not going to be strong ehough? God had to prove to Abraham his own faith is strong, and strong enough to carry out the will of God. Ramamber God works in ways we do not always understand. God could just change everything as He wants, but that would remove His created people's free will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit