Why did God test Abraham?

by jws 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Comatose
    Comatose

God works in mysterious ways is one of the weaseliest sayings of all religious people.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Well said, Aroq.

• Mat
    Mat

You know many scholars recccon the original account of this story ended with Abraham actually going through with it! The bits where God intervines are written in a different style and seem to be added by later editors.

• blondie
    blondie

Where does James 1:13 fit in?

When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone.

• cofty
    cofty

Christian apologetics are as risible as Watchtower apologetics.

Abraham failed the test of being an ethical human being by not telling Yahweh to f~~k off.

Christians fail the same test by by making excuses.

• snowbird
    snowbird

This is my next to last post, so I'll give it a stab.

God Himself doesn't do the trying, but allows the Evil One to do so.

I believe the Evil One cannot do anything without God's permission, so it's as though God is doing it.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Where does James 1:13 fit in?

When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone.

If one has faith and truley believes that God can do no wrong no matter what you get these type of statements from those claiming to be his slave and worshipper. The mind is closed to any other type of reasoning. I think this also demonstrates or is a classic example of compartmental thinking to avoid cognitive dissonance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmentalization_(psychology)

ompartmentalization is an unconscious psychological defense mechanism used to avoid cognitive dissonance, or the mental discomfort and anxiety caused by a person's having conflicting values, cognitions, emotions, beliefs, etc. within themselves.

Compartmentalization allows these conflicting ideas to co-exist by inhibiting direct or explicit acknowledgement and interaction between separate compartmentalized self states. [1]

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

I think that it would have been a more effective account if it turned out it was Satan (talking through a serpent of course and pretending to be god) telling Abraham to kill Issac and god intervined when he realised how faithful he was to him. Then god would lay down some rules that would be the basis for determining if it's god or something else. At least then it wouldn't have to be taken too literally.

But as it stands i don't see how it benefits anyone. If you live your life faithful to god, you might just get a really messed up task from him but... lol he was just testing you. Let's all just forget the fact that you were about to kill your beloved son.

If you don't go through with it then obviously you're an unfaithful little b*tch who's gonna get turned into salt or something.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

My question to JW and believing parents is this. If you hear a voice in your head say to drown your child in the bathtub, and you think it is Jehovah talking, will you do it?

One must wonder if let's say the GB completely lost their minds and told all JWs that they must sacrifice their first-born to Jehoober. What percentage of JWs do you think would actually follow that order?

As horrible as that sounds, i'm pretty sure a percentage of completely delusional JWs wouldn't hesitate to do it, under the pretense that Jehoober will just ressuscitate them in paradise

• Laika
    Laika

Abraham was a bit of a coward, he twice abandoned his wife with strange men to save himself and then abandoned his first child to please his wife, did he ever stand up to anyone?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit