Why did God test Abraham?

by jws 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jws
    jws

When JWs come around with their articles asking "Is God Cruel?", I often point them to Genesis 22:2:

2 Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.”

On the one hand, there are what should be obvious questions. Several places in the bible show that god can read hearts and minds. He should know that Abraham will do what he asks. There is no need to stress out Abraham by asking him to do this.

Aside from that, the big question is WHY test him? For what purpose? Sh*ts and grins? One might say it was to see if he was worthy to be the ancestor of God's chosen nation. But, God had already promised this to Abraham before Isaac was even born. He can't exactly go back now, can he? What if Abraham fails the test? God would still have to bless his descendants. Oops! Should've tested him BEFORE making those promises.

If there's no major reason to test Abraham at this point, then God is just being really cruel.

Honestly! Who writes this stuff? Obviously somebody who didn't think out the story very well.

All around, it's stupid. If God knows what Abraham will do, why test him?

Furthermore, God specifically tells Abraham that Isaac will produce this nation before Isaac is even born. One might say that Abraham was not stressed out about sacrificing Isaac because he knew that because of God's promise Isaac would somehow come through this test and still produce this nation. Then it's not really a test, is it?

And Isaac wasn't his only son as it says in the verse. There was Ishmael.

Again, really? Who wrote this, a child?

• Laika
    Laika

It was a common belief at the time that the gods wanted child sacrifices, by having their god intervene the story showed the Jews that their god didn't approve of this act and they weren't to follow that ritual.

• jws
    jws

by having their god intervene the story showed the Jews that their god didn't approve of this act and they weren't to follow that ritual.

Maybe. But it does not condemn the practice. Just because God stops Abraham it doesn't mean he's against the practice.

Especially because the reason is to test Abraham's faith (in Genesis 22:12):

12 “Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”

Could've said "Do not lay a hand on the boy, you shall not sacrifice humans to me". But the whole thing was about testing Abraham's faith. Why test that now? After you've already promised to bless his seed.

Furthermore, here it is again "your only son". What about Ishmael? The author would never get a job in Hollywood checking for continuity.

• label licker
    label licker

Read Gen 22:5. Abraham told the attendants that he and the boy were going to go worship and then the both of them would return. They knew they they would be returning before they left for the mountain. Why else would they tell the attendant that they would return? That whole chapter is a foreshadow of the Messiah's coming(verse 13)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There could have been an Isaac II. It is absolutely one of the worse stories in the Bible. I hated it from the first time I heard about it. Are my parents going to sacrifice me? There was a PBS program where rabbis discussed the story. They said it was the hardest thing to justify. I like when ministers publicly state that these stories are amoral. One friend told me Abraham knew God would provide. The text doesn't say so.

• snowbird
    snowbird

My extra-biblical source states Satan challenged God to do it, using the same tactic as he did with Job.

Don't ask ME why God puts up with Satan's shenanigans.

• Domi
    Domi

Why do readers of this text mark it as a test? Ask yourself this question; "Whould you put you child, or loved one above your service to God?" The story of Abraham, and his son is to make you, and me think..."What would we do? How much do we trust God?"

Isaac was Abraham's only son. Isaac was still with, and under his father. Abraham's other son was off, and on his own, not under his father.

• label licker
    label licker

If it's to make us think then why go up on to a mountain where no one could see what he was doing? Just like Moses, no one saw what he was doing on top that mountain as well when he brought down the tablets. Just a question. Don't beat me up guys:)

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Domi-Interesting. Once my son leave home he is no longer my son? Wow, I thought I was still my parents daughter, but apparently not with your reasoning. They are childless even though they had multiple children, as we all left home.

• kassad84
    kassad84

But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit