No refreshments.

by quellycatface 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Cause people don't want to stay around and chat...they want to go home and see Dancing with the Stars or American Idol. The gossip is better left for service.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

We used to have kitchens so the pio sisters could bring their lunches, as everyone would return to the hall at noon and leave again at 1pm for another round of service.

Some of the "friends" complained that they were allergic to our food...like onions...oops, sorry, we made chili today, it was cold outside!

In another state we were told we were forbidden to eat in the hall because we would draw ants. Yes, because we are all so messy....not.

No love being missed....such craziness inside the borg.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I was told along time ago we are a don't give a damm about anything except going out and preaching about the Wt. No tea, or coffee for anyone. Just wear and tear on your car and what you wear. And this is all on your dime not thiers. Still Totally ADD

• Divergent
    Divergent

There are no halls with kitchens where I'm at ;P

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

It's very hard to enjoy coffee and donuts while gagging from the content of the meeting.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Altho it is debatable, the point of coffee hour is mutual socialization. It was very awkward for me to attend my first coffee hours. I had no idea what to say to people. I figured "Hello" was a good start. Every church I've attended coffee hour has been prepared with love. Some places serve brunch. I eventually baked for coffee hour. Oh, the conversation about the sermon during coffee hour is often better than the sermon itself.

I feel as though the Society viewed us as vermin. Some camraderie in the KH would have been a good idea. I wonder if they are afraid that Witnesses will discuss WT concepts during coffee hour. What is wrong with enjoying oneself in a KH by enjoying the company of other Witnesses.

Despite their loathing of the Roman Catholic Church, Witnesses do the least of any church I've attended. Vestries or mission committees exist. There are financial committees. The lay people have a say in how communion is administered. The youth ministries were impressive. Trips to Europe were common. Fundraising happened. I had fun greening the church for Christmas and Easter. It wasn't drudgery.

The biggest smiles are when the children troop off to Sunday School. Whether it is b/c the kids are so cute or people are so glad to have peace and quiet, I don't know.

• blondie
    blondie

"rice Christians"

They say they want people to come for the "spiritual food" not literal snacks...........one congregation I was in had the pioneer school there and served food for the pioneers. It was so surprising and eerie; the elders were so afraid that snack time after the meetings would happen.

When there were book studies in private homes they had goodie night; but the book study at the hall were told at first they could not and then the BOE relented.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Church just along the road from my place has no facilities really, no proper kitchen, but every Sunday they provide refreshment. It is possible if that is what you wish to do.

They advertise in the Parish magazine the time to just drop in for a drink and a chat with no Service ! (The time varies) I bet they get more casual visitors than the local K.H, which "serves" a much wider area than this little, but popular church.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I really liked reading all your comments and stories. Thank you.

I now love coffee and a chat after church but it took a while to relax, after the stiffness of the KH.

Got Messy Church this Sunday with bacon rolls. See you there xxx

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

It is interesting to read all these experiences. The 2nd KH that we attended had no kitchen, but DID have refreshments after each Sunday meeting.

Members of the cong would bring in cookies, cakes, muffins, etc. There was a coffee urn, and usually someone would bring in a jug of milk or something for the kids to drink.

Everyone would stand around in the coat room, eating cookies and chatting after the meeting.

We haven't been there in over 3 years now, so I'm not sure if they still do that. It was actually kind of fun, and was a way to bribe your kids into staying quietly in their seats through the boring meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit