Where to go from here(new to TTHATT)

by Batman89 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Batman89
    Batman89

As some of you know now im fairly new to TTATT so im still coming to grips with the fact that in my 24 years of life up to this point I have been in an organization that isnt the true religon that I believed. Im a very positve and optimistic person and have never been depressed while a youth in the "truth", but its still somewhat of a tough pill to swallow considering I gave up my dream of playing college basketball to get baptized when I was 18. And also the fact that armegeddon really isnt coming and I wont get to spend forever with my wonderful parents(who also know TTHATT) and others close to me.

I also consider myself to have good social skills(that I developed during my rebelious years) although im somewhat of an introvert and always had "worldly" friends even when I was an MS but I im finding it tough to shake off the "all worldly people are bad" mentality that Ive had for so long

I guess my question is how long did it take you guys to get over everything and move on? How did you go about "starting over"?? Any tips will help! : )

• Laika
    Laika

9 months out, still not figured it all out but you seem to have it much more together then me. :)

Start by finding a local basketball team to join, you can do what you love and will make friends with your teammates. Time around worldly people will change your opinion of them, just need to power through it.

Congrats on finding freedom!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It took me a while. Probably all and two years. I made as many friends as I could and made myself go out and do things. You are young and have time to make up for what you missed out in. Enjoy your life

• twice shy
    twice shy

The biggest step I took in starting over and moving on was to go to the Kingdom Hall at the meeting and pray to Jehovah that he and Christ remember us in paradise (if it does become a reality) because he knows our hearts and that we love him and are ever grateful to Christ for the sacfrice he made on behalf of all mankinds sins. Then we left. That was this past Sunday.

I am still coming to grips with all the doctrines I learned and how most of they just doesn't apply. I keep searching thru the bible and can not find the scriptures that 30 hours of field service makes you spiritually strong and a good person. Do you know where it is? LOL! In short I'm saying we feel search a relief now that all the guilt and negativity are dismissed from our lives.

Since this is new to me as it is you; I will let others who have been out longer speak on the freedom it offers in the long term.

I still can't embrace the missimg scriptures in John and the warning in Revelation. Also, I did a lot of research on the history of the society and what it started out as is definitively not what it turned out to be. Plus Judge (a name he gave himself-not a title he earned) Rutherford was a rider. He strong armed the organization and reaped all the spoils. I will let you tell me how the story ends.

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life knowing the TTAT.

Also, not all wordly people are bad just as not all Witnesses are good. Food for thought.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Hey Batman89,

It is a rough road... if you are a person of faith, then cling to the faith in your God and his promises through his Word. If you become agnostic, like me and many others on this forum, cling to the ideals that made you the good person you are...

There is a really great quote that someone posted here before.

"Live a life of virtue, for if there are gods and they are just, they will not care how devout you are or have been, They will welcome you based on the virtues that govern your life. If there are gods and they are unjust, then why should you worship them at all? If there are no gods, then when you are gone, you will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of those who have loved you." Marcus Aurelius (from the latin)

Be happy. Be good. Be yourself.

• donny
    donny

It took me about 7 years to get all of the "junk" out of my system. For years I would find myself reverting to the JW mindset when issues such as holidays or others religious beliefs. But in time I shed all religion and my mind has never been clearer.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It took me about 2 years from the time I woke up to realising that all religion is a crock of shit and god is construct of the primitive human mind.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Batman89, First Welcome to your new Life, where you are in control, and you can question and decide "things" for yourself.

I am sorry about your parents that they are dead and did not have freedom of religion or to think what they wanted to do with their lives. (((Hugs)))

Freedom is priceless.

Waking up to TTATT is waking up to a nightmare at first.

Stop. Breath. Go do something for fun to get your mind off what you have lost.

I know a brother (still in) who was a champion Tennis Player at State level, when the knock, knock, people, with their "Would you like to have a free Bible Study and learn how you will never die" came to his door. Poor sweetheart XXXXX took their love-bombing and smily faces, to mean he was with genuine kind, caring and truthful people. He told me he cried for 3 days when he found out that Watch Tower, who say they are the only ones who hear the official Word from God, said God does not like competition and you must obey and quit playing the game you love and that you were going to base your career and whole life on.

So good hearted XXXXX gave up Tennis and all things about it, because he said, it is competitive, I cannot deny that, so I feel per WT (direct from God's ear to the Governing Bodies ears, lol) I cannot have anything to do with tennis any more.

So poor (financially and emotionally) XXXXX is a pool cleaner of rich and successful people in his State. He has gained a lot of weight as well as his beautiful wife. They fight a lot. I would imagine he has a lot of frustrations and disappointments in his life. I really like XXXXX and his family. His daughter did pursue Nursing successfully, for which I am happy for her.

I hear you and I feel for you Batman89.

Keep posting like you are doing. We are here to see you through the inevitable, highs and lows.

WT uses the word "worldly" people, to keep you isolated. Your local Fire Department, the ladies at your local Library, most of the people you walk by, everyday, are just nice "normal" people. Everytime your mind goes to "worldly" think "normal" instead.

(((Hugs))) to you young man that you were smart enough to wake up and get the heck out of Dodge.

-------> One of our posters, Snare&Racket, was a window washer, pioneer, Bethelite, when he started having genuine questions. Instead of answering them the Elder's more or less told him to leave and do not let the door hit you on the way out. At the age of 26 he had qualified himself enough to enroll in University and now at age 33 he just graduated and is a qualified Doctor and Surgeon, moving on to his first job in his chosen profession, of really helping people and being totally honest with them. He will not take BS from anybody.

Take care.

LoisLane

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

7 months out. Da'd 4 months ago.

Every day is different in emotional terms. But better to be out than in.Trust me on that.I've now accepted that the friends I had in the truth weren't genuine friends, it was all dependent on your activity level. Balls to that.

The hardest thing I had to come to terms with was that there wasn't going to be a new world. I love the thought of a beautiful new earth and animals that are tame. No more poverty, violence and war. My illusions. My heartbreak that it wasn't going to happen.

The best thing is now I am in control.

I still believe in God and Jesus but not the Watchtarded way of worship. I don't believe in FS, or pushing my religion onto others. This is real religous freedom.

Good luck to you. Xx

• Giordano
    Giordano

I was emotionally and intellectually out at 23 after pioneering 'where the need was great' and holding down three KH positions and giving the one hour public talk all over our circuit twice a month.

Eventually it all unraveled starting with the blood issue. It just seemed like such a stretch to me and very dangerous. This was in the early 1960's. My pioneer partner (my lovely wife) and I wanted to start a family but there was no way I'd risk her life or our children's life over the JW blood policy. We talked it over and decided we couldn't be witnesses if we pretended that we believed all the crap they taught like Blood and Armageddon etc.

In those days you could leave and your parents could talk to you. Not like today.

It took us until we hit thirty to get where I thought we should have been if we hadn't gone the JW route. With no college we established our own business and eventually we got successful enough to retire at age 60.

Our son gave us grandchildren and he and his family are in our lives on a daily basis. None of us have been in a church over the past decades. We live good and decent lives more along the lines of Human Secularism.....no god, no bible.......... we rely on critical thinking and try to put back into the community with volunteer work. Our paradise on earth is the community we live in close by our family and among dozens of great friends.

It's all in front of you. Be stoic about associations not needy.........apply your witness background to making friends.....find something you have in common with others, sports etc. that calls for regular meets and allow new friendships to grow organically.

Work on your education on line or college or apprentice with a company you would be interested in being a part of.

It's all in front of you now.

One final thought. As a witness you were compelled to play the short game...Armageddon was coming! As an ex JW you now have to play the long game with your mind, health, relationships, financial health. In return for playing well you will generate many rewards and hopefully leave this earth a better place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit