New NWT - what's the REAL reason?

by wallsofjericho 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

One theory that goes along with what's been said. They had terrible losses on the paperback Bibles. They just couldn't hold up to all that flipping to keep up at meetings and carrying them around in book bags. They had to make up for the loss. Introducing the "old" NWT back in the higher quality form would have just been met with Ho-Hums and not with money.

But to have a big event out of a new "silver sword." Letting everyone tie-in, oh the thrill of it all. They paid for these books and covered the loss from the paperback ones.

And, as long as they are at it, I am quite sure they changed some important words to say "Look at the new light we gathered from this."

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Forgive my ignorance.... the Bibles weren't free? Was there a recommended "contribution" or do people just tend to put more in the box when they get ... stuff.

• factfinder
    factfinder

donuthole has a good point. This gb were not a part of the NWT. They want their OWN bible and now they have it.

• factfinder
    factfinder

NeverKnew- I'd guess most witnesses thought this new Bible was worth more and contributed more than they normally would have.

• metatron
    metatron

I think it allowed them to 'save face' in regard to some really poor translations. In particular, the 'mentally diseased' rendering could have become a problem.

Consider the example of what happened to the Aid book, years ago. Their greatest scholarly work was created by a prominent apostate (Ray Franz) and that was such an embarassment that they had to re-edit the book and release it under a different title. Not much was changed but they spent a lot of time and money on it.

metatron

• done4good
    done4good

This is not about money. In the end, the lose money on printing, thus, why they are closing printing factilties, reducing magazine production, and so forth. It is surely not about building "enthusiasm", as that wanes quickly. It is about long term preservation however, and that is the reason for the investment.

I have not read it, do not own it, (or any bible anymore), but I am aware the text in many areas has been made somewhat more ambiguous. This buys them latitute to change doctrine to suit them, (and help preserve them), in the long run. Any other benefit is secondary to this purpose.

d4g

• Mat
    Mat

Maybe they really are trying to modernise their doctrine? Just a thought. Perhaps as a group it was inevitable they would one day.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Any large printing effort these days - unless it's a NY Times best-seller - will be a money looser. At best, the costs will be covered, but I don't think money is the real issue, although finantials are a huge part of the M.O that drives the GB these days.

I, too, believe that the REAL motive behind a revised NWT is to pave the way for huge doctrinal changes. What will they be? Your guess is as good as mine. But since everything the JW believe and do must be backed by the Bible [no matter how contrived and controversial the interpretation is, but it must have a biblical backing], I think the GB realized they have put themselves in a corner, doctrinally, that they cannot get out of without losing face, and many members. What to do? Slowly, almost imperceptably 1) Revise the doctrinal basis [the Bible itself]; and then, based on the "new" basis 2) Revise the doctrine.

That way the GB can save face, and reverse, change or come up with new theology, based on an "improved" understanding of the Scriptures, because the NEW translation is more accurate, blah blah.

[Btw, my bet is on the change of the understanding of the significance of 1914, which will lead to a change in the understanding of the "generation", which will lead to a change in the understanding of the significance of the 144.000 and the "other sheep"]

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit