"This Generation" at the meeting today

by Batman89 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• Batman89
    Batman89

It was really quite amusing 2day at the meeting when we got to the "this generation will not pass away" subheading in the WT. The conductor spent very little time on the section and the comments that were given didnt at all make sense really. You can tell its not understood by the majority of the friendsand will go over there heads, I was trying not to laugh lol. So much for the truth being simple like Jesus said.

And im sure its been discussed numerous times here, but how can you possibly interpret Matt 24:34 as this generation having two groups of annointed ones??? Makes no sense!!

• suavojr
    suavojr

Same here and only 3 people raised their hands to comment. When the elder tried to explain it, he stumble many times and just sounded stupid.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Batman89: You can tell its not understood by the majority of the friends

That's because you can't understand nonsense!!! ... lol

Batman89: how can you possibly interpret Matt 24:34 as this generation having two groups of annointed ones???

Apparently you missed it. There are THREE GROUPS, not two.

This Overlapping Generation teaching is really complete nonsense.

I was trying to wrap my head around the latest "update" to it in this week's WT Study article; not to try and understand it--because, hey, it's nonsense--but to make clear to any lurkers how silly and implausible it all is. - Watchtower, January 15, 2014, p. 30-31, paragraphs 14 - 16.

Here's my take on it:

OG 2.0

So, apparently, there are now three groups of "anointed" ones:

1. Those anointed before 1914
    2. Those anointed after 1914, but before the death of the last of those in group #1.
    3. Those anointed after the death of the last person in group #1. (See point #2 above)

Although not mentioned in the article, the key person in this concept is Frederick William Franz. Born in 1893, Franz was baptized in 1913 or 1914, making him part of the first group. He is also presumably the last person of the first group to die. Franz died on December 22, 1992.

According to this week's WT, the first two groups comprise the "this generation" that Jesus mentioned at Matthew 24:34, albeit in an "overlapping" manner. The third group is explicitly NOT part of "this generation."

The implication is that the newest member to the GB, Mark Sanderson, is categorically NOT a member of the "second part" of the "overlapping generation." It is not likely that he began partaking until AFTER Fred Franz died.

This is, I believe, the reason why this week's WT came up with the third group of "anointed ones."

Thus, not every anointed person today is included in “this generation” of whom Jesus spoke.- WT, January 15, 2014, p. 31, paragraph 16

Classic cult damage control to explain away Marky-Mark.

Careful readers of this week's study article will note that it contained so scriptural references or evidence of any kind to support this new twist on the "Overlapping Generation" idea. It is all just unfounded assertion.

But hey, who needs evidence when you're the leaders of a cult.

--

• suavojr
    suavojr

How many generations do you see in these pictures?

IF YOU ANSWERED 3, YOU ARE WRONG

The overlapping generation doctrine means these people are all part of one generation

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This latest excuse for the missed interpretation of 1914 is just plain embarrassing. I am glad I never had to defend it.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Jesus, this is what they teach now? This is ridiculous!

• Batman89
    Batman89

Apparently you missed it. There are THREE GROUPS, not two.

I need a drink...

lol

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

That's a good diagram, Oubliette.

This new thought gives me a headache.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Yes guys! There is 3 groups and two groups are one generation while the third group is just a new group.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I had a 2011 New Year's Resolution to stop reading Watchtower stuff. I don't care to try to read the latest magazine article, but am I to understand that they are "refining" their overlap generation to say that the "overlap" is old and passing away now, so the end must be so so so so so (etc.) close?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit