Star Trails

by ILoveTTATT 36 Replies latest social entertainment

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

One of the things that I have only done once... but I would LOVE to do again and again until I perfect the technique, is called Star Trails.

My camera is a Canon 60D. There is a way to "hack" the Canon DSLR's so that they get some amazing functionalities, such as taking a picture just by clapping (really cool for when you want to take a picture and no one is able to push the button) and taking pictures at certain intervals.

You can read more about this "hacking" on

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Anyways... So in May last year I went to the mountains and I took pictures of the stars... every couple of minutes, the camera would take one picture. I just let the camera do its thing and went to sleep in the car. 2 hours later I stopped the camera, and the next day I post-processed them into star trails.

I used this program to "stack" the pictures:

http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html

Here are some of the pictures that the camera took, no editing:

And here is the final result, once the program stacked all the photos and I tweaked the pic a little:

I loved doing this, I loved just watching the stars and this mountain and feeling the peace. At the time I was saddened by the process of learning TTATT, but this helped me find some peace.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
  • AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Nice :-) Are those planes or satellites crossing those trails?

Have you tried the circumpolar stars?

• LilieKat
    LilieKat

That is so cool.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Hi AnnoMaly, I think they were satellites. The camera was taking pictures once every minute or two minutes (I can't recall), so idk...

It was my first attempt (and so far, only), so next time I will find the north star and hopefully I get the circles... =)

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I LOVE taking star trails . . If you wanna find the North star , get the big dipper in sight then look where the last two stars of it are pointing, that's the North star. . It doesn't have to be central on the frame, but if it's in there SOMEWHERE then the circles will appear. . . Good thinking time, star trail shooting time.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Beautiful pictures. Love star gazing.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Well, that is a stellar first attempt, ILoveTTATT

Other 'trail' pictures you might want to try eventually are ISS fly-bys and Iridium satellite flares.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Hi AnnOMaly, was pun intended? Hahaha

I learnt somwthibg new today (the iridium flares)... Perhaps it is those streaks in my picture

• jgnat
    jgnat

It is so cool hanging out with geeks. I am definitely NOT a night-owl but I'd be up for an early morning prowl.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit