Star Trails

by ILoveTTATT 36 Replies latest social entertainment

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Hi Prologos

The problem you will have pointing your camera at the southern celestial pole is that it will point to the ground. It is well below the horizon where you are.

Keep doing what you are doing - you have some nice results.

k99

• prologos
    prologos

thank you, that is what I thought, but a previous poster seems t indicate thAT THE convex 'startrails' are of the southern pole's .

Please analize twitches last remarks above.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

prologos,

It might be better imagining a concave lens shape.

)I(

Imagine the above figure rotated 90°. The 'I' is the line of the celestial equator.

Star trails will curve in a circle around their respective celestial poles. Although you won't see the south celestial pole or its circumpolar stars (to make those nice tight circles) from Seattle, stars south of the celestial equator will make trails that slightly arc southwards.

That's what Twitch is trying to convey (right, Twitch?).

Any help?

• Twitch
    Twitch

Thank you AnnOMaly, yes it is.

The middle section of trails that are straight approximate the celestial equator

The lower portion of the photo that shows star trails bending over the mountain is of stars in the south celestial sphere, the concentric centre of these being the south celestial pole which is obviously obscured from view in the northern hemisphere.

The shot does not show the curvature of trails in the north celestial sphere, but rest assured, Polaris is UP THERE.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

The shot does not show the curvature of trails in the north celestial sphere, but rest assured, Polaris is UP THERE.

... behind ILoveTTATT (or his camera).

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

sweet , I think we have the same camera.

• prologos
    prologos

thank you I learned something about WORDS, the COSMOS, by trying to figure out that picture-puzzler with your help.

When hereabouts is talk of the NORTHERN hemisphere, we think of San Diago and up.

I did not remember that part of SOUTH-america is definetly in the NORTHERN (like Alaska) hemisphere. more like above Ecuador.

so of course that is why you can have two diverging star-Trails in one exposure. near the celestial equator. south of the border.

when I read Northern hemisphere, I clicked North America, typical localcentrothink...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit