Reunion- Stepping Back to a Time Before All the JW Stuff Started

by OnTheWayOut 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks for sharing your reunion experience, OTWO.

I'm happy to report that my pre-JW associates have accepted me back into the fold unconditionally.

Sylvia

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Zed, thanks. It's kind of funny. As I am trying to "move on" more and more, my old Navy buddy has commented on my need to "let it go" when simply discussing my JW history after leaving the Navy. His advice is correct, but when we got to reconnect with our shipmates, some of the upper echelon, the commanding officer, the executive officer, the Master Chief of the command, and his department chief, my old Navy buddy definitely had a huge chip on his shoulder and had to let others know how he was "screwed over."

It's okay. He can do that. Most of us do that here on JWN to some degree. I think my point is that we should not tell others how to move on and let it go. They will have to find their own way.

Was...Once, it is not always the right thing to reconnect with one's past. Many have painful pasts. In their cases, I hope they find new avenues to make future memories. I tried to say that, but maybe it wasn't clear enough. I think I went through a time when saving memories seemed stupid, then I went through a time when memories were of a non-JW past and I got rid of them. Now, I wish I had those treasured memories. And I hope to be better when new opportunities present themselves to develop new treasured memories. If that ain't clear, it's my wordiness. Sorry. Some are better off getting away from their past.

LisaRose, you add a nice element. If looking back can help you find your authentic self, go for it. Thanks.

Sarasmile, I would love to find people I knew as a JW if they are out. That would be awesome. I found a whole network of local ex-JW's along with my JWN network of national/international ex-JW's. But I have not yet encountered anyone I knew as a JW that is also out. I am sure they are out there, but perhaps they have not been looking as hard as I have. It'll happen one day.

Smiddy, thanks. That's the shortest version. They found me/I found them when I was vulnerable.

Make Lemonade, yes. Take what helps you. Add your thoughts. If it isn't right for you, that's okay.

exwhyzee, excellent thought. I bond more instantly with my old navy buddies, some I haven't seen in 28 years, than I ever did with JW's. There were some good JW's in my past, but it's always conditional bonding with them: "How are you doing in 'the truth'?" Everyone took different paths from the ship. Nobody was there to judge that.

Band on the Run, the military reunion was very much like a bunch of ex-JW's getting together. But in this case, we really all knew each other well before. We survived and partied together, we saw the world and stood watch together. I think it's almost as good as a whole congregation coming out of the JW's and getting together. (Imagine how awesome that would be.) But you find similar comraderie in a good group of ex-JW's at an Apostafest also. Flipper's Tahoe gatherings have been great like that.

Oubliette, thanks. I was just thinking about it and decided to type it.

Sylvia, that's totally totally awesome. Great contribution to the thread.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

After breaking with the JWs some 20 years ago, I found that I was unable to move on until I had re-discovered the person I was before the Watchtower madness took hold. This process took a number of years to complete, but was worth it - and also contained some very pleasant surprises:

I'm happy to report that my pre-JW associates have accepted me back into the fold unconditionally

- and that was one of them!

Bill.

• humbled
    humbled

This thread has made me weep tonight. There were such great people I "left behind for the kingdom's sake". They were there for me when i came to my senses. I just am sorry for the years I spent in such futility. I am sorry for my family.

It is wonderful to read this thread even though it has affected me with tears. It is emotion not simply sadness. The stories of authentic selves budding forth are so moving. Friendships. Lost loves found.

Good thread, good night.

Maeve

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Bungi Bill, that's exactly what this thread is about.

humbled, I typically wonder if a thread should be posted or not. Thanks for telling me that it had such an effect.

• SophieG
    SophieG

OTWO thanks for posting this.

i too have 4 years of worldly life in my late teens and looking back I had some great memories! I made such wonderful friends. But after those 4 years in a vulnerable state in ran back to the org and cut ties with all those people.

After spending 20 years in that prison I somehow broke free.

It was absolutely AMAZING to see over the last few years every single one of those people came into my life without any real effort. It's like something made them all reappear. Despite me cutting them out of my life they never stopped loving me and was so happy I was free and back to being ME!

i look back and it seems like I was on a path as if these specific people are a part of a bigger story of my life! It's been beautiful rekindling these friendships...and reuniting by 'fate' with the man I fell wholeheartedly in love with at 19!!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

SophieG, that's a huge part of the thought behind this post. For those that left friends and/or family for the cult, and don't have a bunch of horrible experiences with them in their past, they may debate about reconnecting. We can't all hope to reunite with a lost love, but that's great that you did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit