Reunion- Stepping Back to a Time Before All the JW Stuff Started

by OnTheWayOut 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Although I was exposed to the JW's as a child as the only religion I knew, I was not a JW until I got out of the Navy as a conscientious objector. So I was typical "worldly" when I hit 18 out of high school and I got to see the world before personal catastrophy involving heavy drinking made me turn to the lies that I thought were "the truth." So just over 30 years ago, I got the special privilege of serving as the original crew of a brand new ship with a crew slightly over 200. I served 5 years on the "USS Worldly" and then left to become a JW.

When you are the first crew, you learn together how to use that ship, how to run things smoothly. We went to ports all over the world together and were a real family. Everybody in the enlisted ranks knew everybody else. We may not know your wife's name, but we knew if you had one and how many kids you had, or whether you had any college. Most of us were very young and had no wife, no kids, no college. We worked hard together and drank hard together.

Because my time on the "USS Worldly" involved heavy drinking and because the military and my past was totally incompatible with being a Jehovah's Witness, I broke all ties with my shipmates when I left. They tend to give you awards and plaques and such, and I thought such things were not good to have and I threw them all away. I had nothing but memories and figured I would never miss any of my history in the Navy.

Well, a few years ago- with me now a faded JW- one of my closest buddies from those days managed to find me and stayed in touch and told me the ship was to be decommissioned in 2014. The latest and greatest technology of the 20th century was getting obsolete in the 21st century and these ships had to moth-balled. I said a few years ago, "Well, let's go to the ceremony."

So we just recently did so.

There were about 300 in attendance- peopple who served throughout the years on the "USS Worldly" and many with their families. About 30 members of the original crew showed up, which is a considerably high number. And there were a handful more who, although not original crew, reported onboard during those 5 years I was there.

People were saying that what they had done all these years. Many stayed in the Navy or the Reserves. (That's the type who would typically show up at a decommissioning.) Some did their tour of duty and got out of the Navy. Quite a few kept in touch with each other to slight degrees. Virtually all said that I just dropped off the face of the earth as far as they remembered. Most of these guys left the ship slightly before me and did not know that I got out to become a JW, and to be honest- why would they remember what goofy religion I had found? Some did remember my drinking problem and how I got in so much trouble over it and most vaguely remember hearing how I left the ship to get help.

Anyway, the point of this thread. It was totally awesome to reconnect with people and to be myself. WTS teaches that school reunions are a bad idea, and I am sure that military reunions would be thought of as just as bad, were I an active JW asking the elders if I should go. But to step back into the past and be the person I was before I was a JW was really satisfying.

While most here won't ever have such a great position in life to do as I did here, many "converts" have friends and many many "born-in-ones" have worldly family and associates. I have to highly recommend reaching back into your past to trigger thoughts of a time when you weren't a JW, or to reach out to non-JW family to form memories now that you can use in your future to get through some rough times.

Oh, and this- some people still had a chip on their shoulder about things that were considered injustices back then. Even though their position may be valid and justified, there was no benefit to holding on to that chip. If time can heal your wound, try to get past grudges and move on with your life.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Well said; and I am glad you got the chance to reconnect with old friends. I am happy that you have moved on.

zed

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

OTWO, the reaching back thing isn't always the best idea for those of us who were always part of the Titanic called the Org. I had 11 years off for bad behavoir because I faded back then before coming back as you did. Even through those years I towed the line of not pursing immorality or drugs so I was a bore to people. Those years were satifsying but they were somewhat solitary because I didn't attend university, just worked and traveled. I kept from forming any close relationships because I knew that if I came back to "the Truth" I would be unevenly yolked. SO to all those faded and young, screw the JW thinking, LIVE, LEARN AND LOVE. Dont let those fools get so into your head you lose the chance to enjoy your youth without guilt.

Thanks for the memories of your Navy days. Glad you have that to remember. I have other things valuable, it hasn't been a waste, but I could'a been a contender!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

That's a very good point. Sometimes we so lose ourselves in the cult persona and then the things that happen makes us forget what it felt like to be real, to be true to our nature. Sometimes we get so used to compromising, so used to doing what others think we should that we forget what we even wanted out of life.

I left the religion partially because I connected up with a high school friend. Even though I was a newly converted JW when we knew each other, he helped me connect to my true self. He always saw that side of me, before years of being a JW stuck in a bad marriage made me lose sight of my self. I had already started down that path of finding my authentic self, but he helped me a lot, he remembered that geeky girl who always had baggy panty hose and who's glasses always slid down her nose. We got married and I will always be grateful that he never forgot me.

This is what he wrote in my yearbook:

There are so many things to be said, but so few words to be used. I've known you for two years but never really gotten to know you. Maybe in some other time and some other place we will get to know each other.

It took 28 years, but it happened, we have been married 13 years now, I have a great life.

It's not an easy thing, but you can find your authentic self

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

LisaRose that is awesome!

OnTheWayOut I wish I could look at a wordly time. I had a short wordly time. Most of my past was trying to get reinstated which means no worldly association or JW! Some times I want to find old JW people because I know they probably are not JWs.

Wonderful stories.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I was typical "worldly" when I hit 18 out of high school and I got to see the world before personal catastrophy involving heavy drinking made me turn to the lies that I thought were "the truth."

I can relate to that apart from having had any previous contact with jw`s. Many of us accepted it as" truth" because we were in a vulnerable state and they took advantage of that , ( as I would have done when I was a witness )

That was a genuinely good experience to read OTWO , unlike the fairytales the WT propogates.

smiddy

• Make Lemonade
    Make Lemonade

I see the value of what you did. From the comments others did to. This is what I appreciate about this site. People share what helps them and what does not. Then others reading the comments can pick out what would be best for them. Thanks for this experience and the overall contributions you have made.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

There's nothing like reconnecting with friends you made when you were young. I don't think you ever make bonds like that again in life or have too many opportunities later in life to share such camaraderie with others. I'm glad you went and it was uplifting for you.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It sounds like a good experience. I have several big reunions looming. Right now I am living in the same city of my youth. Can't wait to flee. Big mistake. While I am here, though, I want to get in touch with classmates in the area. The city was so bad more people left than stayed. As I go about my business, I meet alums from high school readily. Manhattan can be small in certain circles but here I meet people on the bus, grocery store. The riots gave us a twisted sense of camraderie.

When I was younger, part of me wished I could be in the military b/c of the deep ties. I was female and terrified of death. Plus, my JW relatives would shun me.

The Internet has been a powerful tool in my life b/c I can track down people.

I am glad you enjoyed it. I wonder why some places have camraderie and others lack it.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Great story and great advice on reconnecting with our former selves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit