Doctor affirms the fact that JW religion was a massive strain on my life

by confusedandalone 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

It has been over a year since I offically stopped caring about and going to JW meetings. Prioor to this time I had tons of responsibility that drained every once of time I had. Like any father I had family matters to attend to. We have our own business which can be stressful as well as the fact that I had intense responsibilities at the congregation... I was literally falling apart at the seams during this time. I had:

1. A thyroid condition

2. Orthostatic Hypotension

3. Off the chart stress level

4. Migraine Headaches

5. I was 6ft and 1/4 inches and wweighed at my lowest point 131 pounds

6. Depression

7. Weird tremors in my extremities

My wife was always concerned as you could imagine. The sight of my own children annoyed me because I knew it meant they would demand time that I did not have. Then the mysterious fainting for no apparent reason kicked in. Later it was discovered that it was Vasovagal Syncope. I fainted once out in service after getting out my car and damn near cracked my skull open. I was a freaking mess. Well around the tailend of all this happening I began the doubting and a very quick descent from Elder to the loser who was more concerned about his family than Jehovah. I stopped attending these meetings and dealt with Mother and Father and Brother super dub issues etc... then ultimately I wrote a letter of Disassociation and I was out of there. I was 35 years old with the ailments of someone twice my age!!!

What is amazing is that in about 1 years time I:

1. Am no longer on my Thyroid medications

2. No longer have any of the symptoms associated with Orthostatic Hypo. No longer on the meds as of yesterday

3. Stress Testing done. No more issues

4. No more Migraines

5. I didn't grow anymore, but I have gained 42 pounds. (New hobby is being a gym rat)

6. Depression... What Depression

7. Tremors were related to my stress and varietuy of other issues. Now gone

So here I am at 36 soon to be 37 and I feel the best I ever have in my freaking life. My doctor tells me, "Whatever it is you have been doing continue! Once you have figured it out, I will need you to write me a full paper on what changes you made so I can tell others as if it was my idea!" He laughed I laughed and I did give him a brief explanation about my exit from a high-control group. He discussed some stuff with me and I left. I got in the car and had this amazing feeling of happiness sweep over me! I started to feel all choked up and then realized I was freaking HAPPY!

On my way home I stopped along the road at my favorite pasture with the same cows that are sometimes there. They were not there this time, but they may be there tomorrow? Who knows. I look forward to finding out though!

just wanted to share

• humbled
    humbled

Dear CAA,

GGRRRREEAT to feel alive instead of feeling like a bag of skin carrying a load of responsibility.

Not that you are not a responsible guy--It's just that you are free to take care of your life and those around you. And you can love without guilt.

F**ked up religion. I'm glad you are out and telling others about it---GLAD YOU ARE HAPPY!

Maeve

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Confusedandalone - I think you need a better name, you are neither Confused nor Alone!

I can also attest to the intense jw stress level and its negative effect on my health. With no more insane pressures to run yourself ragged for people who could care less about you, and after the ingrained fear of missing meetings subsides, life starts over at a whole new wonderful place.

(((hugs))) to you and best wishes for your continued good health!

• KateWild
    KateWild

What a great recovery story, you give me confidence I too can survive leaving a cult. Kate xx

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Isn't it wonderful to feel happy, confusedandalone? Working out at the gym is a good way to feel more positive about yourself and life.

I wonder how many other JWs suffer from psychosomatic disorders? My former, JW friend told me that she suffered from a psychosomatic disorder, but would tell me what it was about 2 years ago.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

Yes it is nice to feel free to feel free. I have no guilt, no worries of impending doom, no worries of trying to please anyone or anything.

JKust enjoy being able to live and breath

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Good for you!! It's a soul-sucking cult. The only way to be a happy dub, is to be an ignorant dub. Those who learn TTATT are fortunate. The poor ignorant dubs are suffering and don't know it. They are destined for the Elderly and Infirm section of the "Regional" Conventions. Poor bastards..

DD

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

it is amazing how the body and mind are interconnected - now your mind is free, your body is rejoicing

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

confusedandalone:

Surely, you didn't pick up that load of bricks all at once. No, they were added one brick at a time. The JWs are like the proverbial frog in the pot of water being slowly boiled to death.

I felt relief not long after I began my "fade" back in 2001. I know I can credit my awful experience in the JW religion as being the cause of my slight case of O.C.D., which I manage. I can only imagine how messed up so many JWs are, but they don't realize their religion is the cause of their distress!

I am not surprised you feel relief. It is like breathing fresh air to be out of that claustrophobic, toxic, damaging religion!

• Finallyfree12
    Finallyfree12

Love it!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit