Need to find those Km or Wt articles encouraging all to read the old publications!

by stuckinarut2 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Quick question, unrelated, what does "marked" mean? I'm still pretty new here.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

People 'mark' the thread so that they can find it again for reference, presumably by looking through threads they've posted on.

I've never really understood why they don't just bookmark the page in their browser but hey ho

• LogCon
    LogCon

m

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Fab.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I was asked this week if I would like to keep an order going for "hardcopy" magazines and Kingdom Ministries". My response was, "yes thanks."

The brother was shocked and said: "but we have been given direction from the society to try and cut down on the use of printed material to save funds"

I responded: "But Im happy to pay for my printed copies as I always have"

Then he said "But you dont need them!"

I couldnt help myself.......I said "but the online editions often differ from the printed ones, and the online ones are deleted after some time...I like to keep an accurate library".

He just responded "WHY? The current teachings will always be online, and anything beyondthat is not needed"

I just wanted to hit my head against the nearest wall!!!!!

• Zoos
    Zoos

Be careful not to quote anything TOO old, some things that are often posted on this site for which you would realistically not have access to a hard copy. If they ask to see where you read a certain thing you can't refer them to the internet. BUSTED!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Good point Zoos!

My go to response is a truthful one in that case.

I simply say (and it is true):

"Brother, dont you remember when we did the remodelling of our hall, we found a HUGE box of old books from the society below the hall? Remember bro___ told us to put them in the big bin going to the rubbish tip?. Well, I kept them and read so many before I threw them out, as we were told to always value our 'theocratic heritage'..."

"But I did photocopy many interesting points..."

Then if they want to see anything, I can say it was a copy from that time...(and not from our forum here)

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Terriffic thread, I'm sure this will be useful to me at some point.

It's funny to me, that by their very publishing of the recomendation to read the older publications it's almost like they're trying to wake people up. What's more likely, though, is that they know NO ONE even reads all the current magazines, let alone the old crap - by telling us to read the old stuff it's just a way of keeping the most hard core followers ever busy, and the rest always have something to feel guilty about.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Or, you could say you downloaded them, I have a torrent file of all wt's from the first one to the fifties. They're all scanned in pdf format.. Not golden age though, although I believe they're out there somewhere, is it jw archive?

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

@Zoos, I have mentioned this to some and they asked the same thing. I told them that when the WT Library references them, I do a Google Search, and they are often found in the public domain, for example, at the Internet Archive or on Youblisher (which is truthful.) No one really bats an eye at that answer. They're usually like: 'Cool! I didn't know they were out there.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit