Rumor about the Imitate Jesus Convention

by FusionTheism 75 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

I saw a rumor a few weeks ago on Reddit that the new Imitate Jesus Convention is supposed to present New Light and Clarified Understandings on the Disfellowshipping/Disassociation practices.

Supposedly, if this rumor has any truth to it, there will be a talk given at the Convention about how we should not be strict like the Pharisees in how we shun people, loosening up some of the JW rules about this practice.

Has anyone here heard anything about this or have more info on it?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I don't believe it, if JW's don't shun the numbers of people learning ttatt go way up and fence sitters that would leave yet don't do to shunning would be free to go.
  • rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

A week or two ago, someone posted that there would be a release of a new publication addressing DF'd/ DA'd.

Sorry, I can't utilize the search function here and I cannot find a screenshot of it.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

That would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll believe it when I see it.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl
    Nope. Never gonna happen. Cults never forfeit. DFing gives them the upper hand. Why would they ever give up such an advantage?
  • exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    It would be a good thing if that turned out to be so, however can you imagine the "weeping and gnashing of teeth" there would be on the part of all those parents and grandparents who lost whole decades of their lives spent shunning their kids? I know quite a few who would be doing just that.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

Dfing=control

haven't they lost enough of control as of late? This I see as the last vestige of control they'd ever let go of.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Wishful thinking. I don't believe it. It's how they keep control.
  • freddo
    freddo
    Not a chance. If anything at all it will be a nice "reasonable" talk about how they want the prodigal sons and daughters back in the fold - but CO's will be telling the elders not to loosen their grip.
  • InjusticeSystem
    InjusticeSystem

That would be unprecedented, but I'm highly skeptical.

I agree with xwhyzee above, I think this would cause a huge shift in awareness if suddenly JW's were able to associate on some level with their family or friends that are DF or DA without fear of punishment. This seems unlikely because it would expose current JW's to different (and most likely negative) thinking towards the Borg, and may even cause them to question why they were unable to associate before, but suddenly (on an apparent whim) they can.

Bad for the Borg, great for a lot of us here.

Therefore, unlikely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit