What is the main "idea" of the bible?

by KateWild 71 Replies latest watchtower bible

• KateWild
    KateWild

As JWs we were often told what the theme of the bible is, we were taught that it was the promised seed.

I was recently asked the question...

What is the main "idea" of the bible?

For me the whole purpose of the bible is about control. It features a God that punishes and rewards. Religions use the bible as a tool to control women and the vulnerable. I believe the bible is not from God and was written by men.

I believe in a creator, but do not believe he punishes or rewards humans. I think he is indifferent to human affairs and has left us to get on with it ourselves, and some humans have used the bible for bad and caused injury to other humans.

What do you think the idea of the bible is?

Kate xx

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

I think you're right about the negative side of the bible.

The positive side is men trying to give some meaning to a wild and full of terror world.

As a born-in JW I experienced what is like to have no scientific and philosophical knowledge and still having to get some sense from the world.

The demons vs angels seemed very satisfactory to me in my not so humble ignorance.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Kate, I agree with you. I think the main idea is to control through fear. The first five books of the bible show a god that is mean and blood-thirsty and a god of trickery. He has nations killed down to the last baby. He brought a flood and killed absolutely everything then later said that he'd never bring a flood again because the heart of man is bad all the time. Well, being a God, shouldn't you have know that in the first place or does he enjoy killing? And the way women are treated, my goodness, who would want to live in a Paradise forever with a god like that? Oh, yes, Jesus is going to be the king, but at that time wasn't he watching everything??

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Oh, yes, I know. Children grow up to be pagans so we have to kill them all. And the animals that were killed? What the hell did they do?

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Kate, do you think God had a part in writing the bible?

I find myself thinking that if there is a God and God is good and Satan is evil that Satan probably was the one that wrote the bible.

I don’t really know what to make of the bible. It does seem to have had some sort of organization or coordination between the different books. This would suggest it had or has a purpose, but it doesn’t seem very accurate. I have to admit I haven't done much bible reading or research since leaving the JWs so my understanding could be quite skewed.

My current belief is that we have no clue what is going on and sometime in the future we will find out things are not as they seem. I probably won’t be around to see it. If there is a creator I don’t think he created humans directly. Maybe the universe was started by some sort of creator and we are just a side effect or something.

If there is a creator of us directly I think he is probably looking down on us and thinking “I gave these guys everything to create a great life for themselves and they spend their time fighting over who is right".

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Mynameislame-- I know you weren't asking me, but I think the bible was written by man. And it was written to confuse us and guide us to the one-world government.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I once read a New York Times article about anthropolgists in Israel finding no sign of David or Solomon (and other characters). The anthropologists assume it was commissed relatively late in Israelite history to give legitimacy to the ruling dynasty. The article went in detail about the reign. I don't see a single, coherent theme. The Witnesses certainly do. I agree with you about control.

I wish I knew more about when the OT was canonized. My Jewish friends place great belief in local rabbis interpretations.

There is great beauty in the Bible. It is hard for me to acknowledge it b/c the Witnesses stress fear scriptures. JAH is going to WAP and torture you. Humans should suggest an anger management group.

I spent a lot of time reading Psalms when I was very ill. Since I had nowhere to go, I would read some that aren't popular. So many express vegeance and rage.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Kate, do you think God had a part in writing the bible?-mynameislame

Well there is a direct role and an indirect role. I don't think God had a direct role in the wording of any of the bible. But I do think he had an indirect role. He created humans with the ability to communicate in writing and many laguages, the bible is one by product of this, but all poetry and litterature is a by product of this too.

Kate xx

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

My simplistic view is to love each other, not hurt each other. Recognise we are not ever perfect, to recognise jesus is here to fogive us of our humnness imperfections, not to ever give up being a better person in every way we can. To help each other out of love, do as Jesus hoped for us.

My lesson in this mindset was major yesterday, when I voluntered to be a live liver donor for our tenant/friend. I did it with no fear or reservation. All I felt was love and hope. I will find out later if this will be possible.

That to me is what the Bible embodies. Love.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

There really is no theme in the Bible. It is just a collection of Babylonian myths, old songs, wise proverbs, fantasy, and some actual history (not much though) collected from all over the Middle East. There is no mention of God in Ecclesiastes or Esther; and there is no consistent idea of death, God or the supernatural. And of course, if the 1st century Christians hadn’t falsely appropriated the Jewish holy writings for themselves to get authenticity for their new Christ cult, there would be no Bible.
    Other than that, it’s about sex- and how you shouldn’t be getting any.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit