Don't miss the health care sign up deadline.

by FlyingHighNow 55 Replies latest jw friends

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Insurance companies are the antichrist. But the economy would suffer a tremendous hit if all the greedy insurance agents and companies were suddenly out of work.

It is a Catch-22.

Single payer would be better.

zed

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

zedisdead - I disagree, while the insurance companies and agents would be looking for new work, the $300+ a month that all who have insurance are paying would instead be disposible income for other things. It would actually stimulate the economy as all of that money would be going all over the place to many businesses, etc, instead of just going to the insurance companies and employees.

• JeffT
    JeffT

You know, every single person I've talked to that says the ACA is screwing them over didn't actually know what it does, how to sign up, what was covered, how to use credits or deductions.

Well, now you know one of those people. I'm semi-retired, self-employed and buy my own insurance. My old plan was canceled to make way for an ACA compliant plan that costs $300/month more (multiple by two, it effects both of us.) We make just a bit too much money on our retirement fund to qualify for a tax credit. It will be two more years before I qualify for Medicare. The insurance commisioner here in Washington won't allow a return to the old plan. I'm an accountant and can do figures and read contracts. I signed up on the state website the day it went operational.

Between increased premiums and higher deductables ACA is screwing me.

PS, when people start doing their taxes next year expect screaming when they discover they don't acually qualify for the credits they're claiming.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

EoM,

I agree with you in principle; but the repercussions of putting all of those people out of work would have an immediate hit on economic growth, and the GOP would make the Dems pay. I truly think eventually it will morph into a single payer system, but they had to start somewhere. And it was not worth "falling on the sword" to get it through, and wipe out the progress that has been achieved.

Obama, like him or not; is a shrewd politician. It has to come in phases.

zed

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I am unemployed and cannot afford ANY health care- I can make no payments at all. I have no taxes to pay as I have no income, so tax credits are useless to me.

Obamacare is a joke.

Here's some good news for you and it is not a joke, Fact Finder. New Jersey has expanded medicaid. Since you are unemployed, you can sign up for medicaid. In New Jersey it is probably going to cost you little to nothing. Did you sign on to the healthcare.gov website and go through the signing up process? They had to tell you that New Jersey would cover you with Medicaid. There is no deadline to sign up for expanded medicaid and they cannot hold your assets against you.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Yeah, no. I already get 100% of taxes paid in back every year.

I doubt that. You get all the tax money you pay back on everything you pay taxes on? Gasoline? Milk? Pack of gum? Diapers? Socks? Pants? If so, you are taking some illegal deductions. If not, then you must have meant somthing else other than "100%".

nobody should be signing up for this SCAM called the 'unaffordable healthcare act'.

Easy to say, harder to prove to those who can now afford health insurance.

I had been paying for my own private insurance. I paid a higher rate for a preexisting condition. It was $150 2 years ago but because of this stupid act it had jumped up to $300 a month by last year.

$150 per what? Day? Week? Month? Last year the ACA hadn't taken effect, so it literally could not have been because of the ACA. Given that you so far have not included enough information to accurately figure out your situation and have described something that cannot be true, there is no way anyone could figure out for you what is going on.

• Viviane
    Viviane

oops... Looks like you couldn't sign up for half the day if you tried.

Actually, you could have called, so, yeah, you could have signed up. Or, you know, tried the other half of the day. It's almost like doing important things takes work!

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thank you FlyingHighNow.

I tried signing up yesturday. I set up an account but it would not let me use my password or username after activating it. I changed password, started again. Several failed tries-it said my account was locked or disabled. I was disgusted.

I went directly to medicaid. Tried to get online application. It failed- said it crashed. I gave up.

May try again another time for medicaid. But I can make no co-pays. What money I have left now goes to food!

• designs
    designs

We are now proud card carrying memebers of ACA.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you FlyingHighNow.

You are welcome.

I tried signing up yesturday. I set up an account but it would not let me use my password or username after activating it. I changed password, started again. Several failed tries-it said my account was locked or disabled. I was disgusted.

I went directly to medicaid. Tried to get online application. It failed- said it crashed. I gave up.

May try again another time for medicaid. But I can make no co-pays. What money I have left now goes to food!

Fact Finder, you will now go through your local department of human services. healthcare.gov would have directed you to do the same. Do not give up. Having health insurance can not only save your health and life, it can keep you out of the bankruptcy courts. Be sure to collect all of the documents they want you to have and be persistent .

If you are not working, you will be eligible for food assistance, too, as long as you are under $5,000 in assets, not including your home if you own yours. If you have too many assets, then educate yourself about your local food banks. Food banks often have cleaning supplies, shampoo, toilet paper, razors, etc.

If you are unemployed, your state will have help for you in job hunting. Where I live we have Michigan Works. They help with resume writing, they have workshops to show you how to dress, how to interview and computer access if you don't have it at home. They have a talent bank where you post your resume'. You can look for jobs on the talent bank and employers can look for you.

Some states also offer help with funds for job training and technical school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit